Chapter 1

Suhyun POV

I dully pressed the laminated keycard to the scanner as I filed into the office building in a single file line behind me coworkers.

One at a time we approached the security team with their metal detectors and the screening systems.

Working in a job like mine required constant assurance of these things. On any mission, someone could place a camera on you as easily as someone can pickpocket.

I sent my bag through the screen while I walked through the metal detector and then stood in front of the security team so they could respectfully and responsibly frisk me.

"How's the-"

"Non-life threatening wound? Totally fine," I answered shortly, quickly brushing past when they finished so I could grab my bag and do my work.

Some people greeted me on my way but I was in no mood for mingling with those who intended to pity me.

I briskly walked through the massive office, bypassing rows upon rows of my colleagues either frantically typing away, on calls, or collaborating on cases.

We weren't law enforcement. Nope. Detectives and all those people dealt with their own cases. But there were some issues that couldn't just be solved by the ordinary police force.

That's what we were. Some people called us secret agents, spies, underground cops, among many other names. All we really were was a special bureau. Trained differently, and sent to handle cases in much more unconventional ways.

We often worked synonymously with law enforcement, so it was hard to differentiate the two.

But oh boy was there a difference.

I finally made it to my quadrant of the large office floor, heading to my pod. In our bureau, we had our pods which was our really tiny team for missions.

Two people for field work, and two for direction and deciphering.

I was the field work person. After an unfortunate incident when I first joined, I've requested to fly solo since with only my direction team to guide me through assignments.

Although lately, it seemed like I was doing more behind-the-scenes work than anyone.

I hadn't been out on the field in a while due to an accident. It wasn't anything serious. A non-fatal bullet through the skin. But because of it, I had been placed on a probationary recovery period. I had somehow managed to convince my boss to let me come back to the office at least, and had cut my physical therapy a month after I started.

I wanted to be back on the field more than anything. But instead I was glued to my chair, sorting files for other people to solve.

"Yo Suhyun!"

I looked up from the files I was sorting to see one of my direction team members, and probably my best friend and ever.

"Hi Arin! What's up?" I asked.

She frowned instantly, "Why didn't you come to the graduation?"

I bit my inner cheek bitterly.

"Going to that would be like viciously rubbing salt in my wound. Both literally and metaphorically."

She sighed, "Suhyun, you know why you're off the field. You know she didn't take you off of the field because she hates you."

"I know, but that doesn't make it easier. It's been months of sitting behind the scenes."

"Make do Su. Trust me, I'd much rather be talking with you through the earpiece and guiding you through your assignments but until you get the all clear, you've just got to make do."

I groaned, "That feels like all I've been doing. Anyway, how did the rookies look?"

"Excited, to say the least."

"Hmm. We'll see. They better be up to par. Especially since I'm on training duty," I huffed.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance. I hated being on the bench. I was ready to play and the coach wasn't putting me in.

Arin playfully nudged me, "Chin up girly. They can't be that bad."

I scoffed, "They'll be annoying is what they'll be. 'Miss Eun like this?' 'Miss Eun look at how good I am! 'Miss Eun you are so pretty!' 'Miss Eun, at this rate, I'll be better than you!' Ah, it pisses me off!"

Arin chuckled, "Ever the grumbler."

The both of us settled into our work until our other team member, resident handsome genius Kim Seokjin sauntered in.

"Ladies~" he chirped.

"You're chipper," I rolled my eyes.

"When is he not?" Arin joined in, snickering with me.

Seokjin huffed, "I do so much and yet I'm still your punching bag aren't I?"

I grinned, "Yeah so what?"

He chuckled, "Always feisty. Anyway, what's on today's agenda?"

"Boss finally gave Suhyun some physical work. Well...sort of. She's got a training session with the rookies today," Arin announced.

Seokjin amusedly raised an eyebrow, "That'll be interesting."

"Haha very funny. Well, if this is all I can do, then I guess I'll just whip them into shape," I hummed.

The two of them glared at me, speaking in unison, "Go easy."

I rolled my eyes, turning my attention back to my work. I was sorting through the unsolved case files so that they could be distributed to the staff, and more importantly the rookies. Easy cases to give them some hands-on experience.

As I thumbed through, I glanced at the massive binder of stuff on the underground syndicate I had been exploring before feeling a rush of bitter nostalgia hit. I was spearheading the case, but after I got hurt, they decided to take me off because it was getting to my head.

Arin seemed to notice because she pushed that file forward so I could continue my sorting.

She gave my arm a gentle squeeze, giving me a comforting nod.

Taking a deep breath, I pushed the thought aside and focused on the task at hand.

"Agent Eun?"

"Yes, what is it?" I asked the boss' secretary.

"Madam would like to see you in her office as soon as your training session with the rookies is done. She's got something important she needs to discuss with you."

I glanced up at the secretary with a puzzled expression. There was no need for the boss to see me anyway. But I knew better than to bitterly avoid a call from the boss.

A couple minutes after the secretary had left, I stood up, grabbing my coat.

"I've got to get going. You both better pray for me,"
I warned.

"What a drama queen. You'll be fine. Now go forth, and bestow your knowledge!" Arin giggled.

I grinned, waving to the both of them as I marched off in the other direction.

____________________________________
Back in business with an action-packed book. You know I like my more exciting books. I've got a bunch of pre-written stories I'll be posting to set the story up.

Happy Reading 📖