12

Hayes

"The autopsy reveals that she suffered trauma to the head, suspected by a lamp that was found near her body," I switched off the TV.

"They really keep covering our story huh," Kaylin puffed as she walked into the living room with a bowl of cereal.

"Yeah," I sighed aggressively. I put my hands on her legs that were resting on my lap.

"How did you even survive living like this?" I asked. I really couldn't understand how Kaylin did this so often. I was dying and it was pushing towards a month being here.

"I had to learn how to adjust. And quickly. One wrong move and I would've been exposed," she explained, "I had to learn to stay alive in a world that wanted me dead."

Those words rung in my ears. It was heartbreaking. You could really tell how remorseful Kaylin was. In the way she spoke. In the way her eyes looked. She was scared. She was scared that she would be reduced to being just a plain criminal with no heart or morals. However, she was so much more. She was this beautiful, elegant, intelligent and vibrant woman with a soul of fire and a flare that you just couldn't get over once you got to experience it. She was more to me than just some crook. I just wished that the world could see that.

I took her bowl of cereal, put it on the coffee table and hugged her. I started to feel my shirt get a little wet. She was crying.

Just like the first time I saw her in the coffee shop.

"Kaylin," I said softly.

"Yes?" she answered with a sniff.

"I just want to let you know that I will do whatever it takes to protect you and I'm sorry I wasn't honest with you from the start. That will never happen again," I stroked her soft curly hair.

"I know Hayes. Thank you for that I really appreciate it," she sniffed again.

"I have something to tell you," I said and she arose from my hug.

Then I told her everything. About the person who made me this way. About the reason why I became what I became.

"Hayes," Kaylin puffed speechless, "I had absolutely no idea I'm so sorry."

"It's okay my love," I smiled at her weakly, "I have you. That doesn't matter anymore."

"Well I promise you that I will never hurt you. You've taught me that people deserve second chances and I see that now. Meeting you was one of the best things to happen to me. As long as we're in this together, nothing can stop us," she cupped my cheeks and grinned warmly.

"I love you," I whispered.

"I love you too," she whispered back and kissed me lightly. We hugged for a while.

"Honestly she sounded ugly in your story anyways," Kaylin commented with a small chuckle as she pulled away from our hug. I appreciated her trying to make me feel better.

"Oh wow," I laughed with her and pulled her onto my lap, "you're the best."

"Oh shut up and kiss me already," she squeezed my cheeks and I kissed her.