1

Hayes

I stared at the rising sun of the morning as the car drove fast. My heart kept speeding up and slowing down in its pace. I had no idea what was going on.

I heard Kaylin's panicking breath fill up the car. We had been driving for a couple of days. I was pretty sure we were across the country. It went from fighting to silence to spilled emotions and many more.

We finally stopped somewhere and she got out the car. She carried the bag she packed for me and let Zan out the backseat.

"What is this place?" I asked as I walked beside her. We were outside a quaint house that looked a lot less modern than normal.

"A place where we can hide for a while," she explained and opened the door. The place was a little dim. She walked to the living room and opened the drapes a bit.

"Kaylin you still have to explain what the hell is going on. You literally haven't told me anything since we left my place," I complained.

"Can you please just trust me," she sighed and closed her eyes.

"How are we gonna survive here? Food? Supplies? My clothes are here and where are yours," I questioned.

"Relax," she rationalised with me, "I've been here before I know the tricks of the trade."

"What we're doing is crazy," he groaned.

"If you think this is crazy, wait till you hear what I've been through," she shook her head and walked out the door.

"Where you going?" I asked and held her hand.

"Just gonna go but I promise I'll be back. I'll leave something I can't live without so you know I'm coming back. My lighter," she took it out and set it on the kitchen table.

"You smoke?" I asked, even more shocked.

"Stress relief," she shrugged and left.

What is up with this girl?