19

Hayes

1:34am, I read on the clock on the wall that was glowing in the moonlight. I couldn't sleep.

It had been pushing two months since we got here. It seems that the public has grown more suspicious about our whereabouts so we have had to lay even lower than we did before. Still no sign of a guy in a chauffeur's uniform, possibly meaning that things with Kaylin's dad are taking a little longer. For the love of God, I just wanted to get out of here already.

I saw a flicker move past one of the dimmed windows that can see out but can't see in. It looked like a person. I grew suspicious.

I took a bat that was hidden under the bed and stood up. I walked towards my bedroom door, slowly opening it and making my way to the back door of the kitchen. I tried to keep my footsteps silent as I didn't want to be heard.

As I was about to reach the door  I suddenly heard a loud whimper come from Zan who was out back. I quickly scurried to the door and unlocked it. I opened it in a flash to see Zan laying down in pain, a rusty nail stuck into his leg, blood dripping from the wound.

"What the hell!" I cursed as I rushed over to him. I picked him up and got him inside. Kaylin was in the living room by the time I got him inside.

"What happened?" she asked frantically.

"I think there was someone outside who did this to him," I panicked as I ran to the kitchen to get bandages and other supplies. As my beloved dog howled in pain, I did my quickest and best to fix him up.

"There," I said as I finished wrapping around the bandage.

"Hayes," Kaylin said as she sat next to me and stroked Zan on his side as he was still laying down, "it's the middle of the night how can this happen nobody's ever been around our house unless we let them in through the front."

"Kaylin," I gulped, "I think we're being watched."