24

Hayes

"Thanks," I thanked the person bringing in the food that Curtis has sent.

"You're welcome," they said and left in their car. As I closed the door and went into the kitchen, I was relieved. I decided to make myself a sandwich. It has been a tough couple of days. And surprisingly Curtis bought dog food and even some toys for Zan. What an upstanding guy.

I sat down with my sandwich after giving Zan some food and as I was about to take a bite, the door decided to open slowly.

"Hayes," I heard Kaylin's voice softly intrude the house.

I put down my plate and stood up. She closed the door behind her and put her bag on the floor. She was sober. She looked well rested. Unharmed. I was grateful.

"I'm so sorry baby. I just freaked out when I got that letter from my mom and then when we had our fight it just made me feel even more problematic and I didn't mean to abandon Hayes I just need to figure some stuff out and-"

Before she could continue, I just kissed her. I missed her so much and I didn't care about what happened. I was just grateful she was okay.

"Please don't leave me alone again," I whispered as our foreheads touched.

"I promise I won't," she whispered and hugged me.

Zan jumped onto the both of us.

"Someone missed me," she laughed and ran her hands on his head.

"That makes two of us," I smiled and took my plate, digging into my sandwich. I was starving.

"The bags?" Kaylin asked as she looked into the kitchen and saw the bags on the counter.

"Your dad called yesterday. We talked. I then asked him if he could send over some food because we were running low and I didn't wanna leave the house," I explained.

"That's so nice of him. I'm sorry for leaving you like this," she sighed and wrapped my arms around me.

"It's okay. What matters is that you're safe and here," I put down my plate and kissed her forehead.

"I actually have a surprise for you," she smiled.

"Is that so?" I smirked.

"Yup," she smiled and let go of me. She went to the bag that she put by the door and opened it, revealing a large wad of cash.

"20 grand," she stated as I looked at the bag, "I got this hitting the casinos in Nevada."

"Phew," I huffed, "this calls for a celebration."

I picked her up and led her to my room. It's time for get a piece of what I've been missing.