8

Hayes

The car stopped outside this little beige house. Kaylin and I stepped out and walked down the path to the door. Kaylin rung the door bell and we were greeted by a buff old man with an eyepatch.

"Hi dad," she smiled and hugged him.

"Hey there sweets," he laughed. He seemed pretty jolly, "is this the boy?"

"Yes this is Hayes Dad. He has a name," she growled.

"Hello sir," I took out my hand for a handshake.

"Hey boy," he shook my hand, "don't have to be nervous around me. I mean yes I could probably kill you in several different ways but ain't nothing to be afraid of Curtis' company especially if he likes ya."

I just nodded. I was nervous. This man was the father of the love of my life. Not to mention an ex con.

We walked in and sat down in the poorly lit living room. He took a pipe from the table and stuffed some tobacco in it and began to smoke.

"Kaylin said you wanted to meet me," he began as he huffed out grey clouds of death.

"Um yes. I wanted to meet the father of my girlfriend. I mean after all, I am in love with your daughter," I smiled. And I meant it. Regardless of what happened, how much we had fought since this had started and what we were going through now I had to admit, I was in love with Kaylin.

I saw her smile out of the corner of my eye and she reached for my hand and held it tightly.

"Isn't that just somethin' phew. Y'all have gotten yourself into quite a pickle," he huffed again.

"Yeah Kaylin told me that's why she's been coming over to you so much for advice," I added.

"Yeah my babygirl always goin need her daddy," he chuckled which then turned into a cough, "well I'm glad y'all could come out to see me. Listen just stay low, and more carefully I hear your names on the local news quite often their suspicion is starting to heighten."

"Have they come to yet?" Kaylin asked nervously.

"Not yet but they ain't goin' get me. I'm leaving the country, just until this blows over. Don't want them coming for me too," he explained and put down his pipe.

"Where are you gonna go?" she asked nervously.

"Colombia," he said, "like I always do. I'm gonna go get more tobacco for my pipe."

Curtis stood up and went into another room, leaving Kaylin and I alone. I watched as the worry sunk into her face.

"Your dad is nice," I complimented.

"Thanks. He means a lot to me," she sighed.

"Where's your mom?" I asked.

"Florida. My parents got a divorce after I got arrested the first time. She says it was my dad's fault and didn't want to be with a man who had a bad influence on her children," I saw her face get sadder.

"Hey," I wrapped my arms around her, "I'm sorry okay. I really am. I'm sorry we're in this mess and I'm sorry that things are so difficult. I promise we'll get through this. I'll be okay, you'll be okay, your dad will be okay. I promise."

"Thanks," I heard her sigh into my shoulder. Curtis came back with more tobacco and sat down.

"So you're wondering about the eyepatch aren't you?" he directed this question at me.

"Uh-yeah I guess. I didn't wanna seem rude so I ignored it," I chuckled lightly.

"Well," he lit his pipe again and smoked, "it's a very interesting story."