20

Hayes

Pound!

I heard a noise at the door. Frazzled, I stood up and looked through the peephole.

I saw nothing but a white square on our front step. I decided to open the door and take it.

It was a letter. It was addressed to Kaylin. Unfortunately for her she was out so I had to wait for her to come back. I felt disrespectful reading it.

***

Nightfall approached and I heard footsteps leading to the door.

"Hayes," Kaylin called out from outside. She opened the door with bags in her hands.

"Hey honey," I greeted her and helped her with her bags, going and putting them on the kitchen counter.

"Hey there sweetie," she pecked my lips and took off her wig, "this shit gets itchy I need to get a better one ugh."

"Kaylin a letter came for you today," I said and handed her the envelope.

"Lil ol' me? Hmm what a pleasant surprise. Maybe it's my dad finally updating us on the plan," she smiled sweetly and ripped off the envelope.

I watched her read the letter, her face getting more sour as she went further down the page. She tossed the letter and envelope onto the floor and went into her room.

"Kaylin what does it say?" I asked as I followed her.

"I have to go," she said harshly, getting a bag from her closet and packing various items.

"Where are you going? Are you gonna leave me here all alone?" I asked panicked.

"Hayes I have to go," she gulped hard, taking her bag and heading for the door.

"Kaylin if you walk out that door without telling me where you're going, how long you're gonna be or at least taking me then we're done," I said sternly.

"Hayes I'm sorry I have to go," she broke down in tears and opened the door. She quickly closed it behind her and I heard the car engine start.

"Kaylin!" I yelled and ran to opened the front door. By the time I got outside I saw car lights speeding away into the night.