18

Hayes

We came home from the funeral in a state of fatigue.

"My feet hurt," I complained as I threw myself onto the couch.

"I understand. Thank you for helping my family out the way you did. You really didn't have to," she smiled and sat down next me.

"It's the least I could do. You busted your ass trying to help plan the funeral even behind the scenes since you couldn't really go anywhere and risk being seen and reported to the police. You deserve the rest," I folded her hand in mine.

"I'm glad that my dad is coming up with a plan," she explained, "for a second there I thought we we're screwed since Kareem clocked out."

"How do you feel about that by the way?" I asked her. She hasn't really expressed how she felt.

"I mean yeah Kareem and I weren't on the best of terms but there was a time we were pretty tight. I don't know, it's just different when it's family. And he was still young, I felt like he still had a chance to turn his life around. I guess he'll never get it again and that's what makes me really sad. That he died a thug. That's what I was scared of before, dying knowing that I was living wrong," she sighed heavily, "it's just been a lot and the shit that Jade kept handing me today was unbelievable."

"Yeah what is with her? She had a stick up her ass. I mean I get her son died but come on," I commented quite annoyed that she mistreated Kaylin the whole day.

"She doesn't really like me or my mom because she feels like we took the attention away from the two sons she had with my dad," she explained, "she's just a bitch."

"I can see it. I'm sorry she was giving you such a hard time baby," I comforted her.

"No it's okay. I kinda understand. One thing about my dad was no matter what, he really does love me and my mom. He still tells me that my mom is the love of his life but she wants nothing to do with him because he's nothing but a crook," she looked down, "it also seems like she wants nothing to do with me."

"That's not true Kaylin," I looked at her.

"Oh yeah? Then why hasn't she checked up on me once since we've been here. And she definitely knows I'm here. She knows I always come here when shit gets bad. I'm not even surprised she didn't come to the funeral," she fumed, "and now here I am, dragging you all into this when you really did nothing wrong. When did my life get so fucked up?"

"It's not as fucked up as we thought babe. Your dad seems to be working on a plan and soon enough everything will be back to normal. We'll be living in New York and our lives will be normal. We just gotta wait for the storm," I gulped hard, "the freaking hail storm of the century, to pass by."

"What a hailstorm. Gonna need a stronger umbrella," she chuckled.

"I love you," I laughed with her.

"I love you too," she smiled. Seeing her happy was all I needed.