17

Hayes

The weather matched the mood. Cloudy and gloomy. The funeral was small. I think it was to protect Kaylin and I. Also probably attaining to the fact that Kareem was involved in some unlawful activities. Kaylin had been a silent wreck all day. She tried very hard to stay strong but I could tell she was on the verge of cracking and I was afraid of when it was gonna happen.

"It was nice of your dad to take a private plane to come," I commented as we sat in her former stepmom's house just after the funeral service.

"Yeah," she smiled weakly. She looked so tired.

"Kaylin," Jade, her former stepmom, called out, "could you help me with the entrees."

"I'm a little winded right now Jade could I do it a little later," she said soundly.

"Oh that's so typical of you to just sit around and let grown folk do all the hard work," she spat.

"Let me help you with that," I stood up.

"Ain't that nice of you son, thank you," she smiled at me, "your boyfriend more help than you right now. You should be ashamed of yourself."

"She's just a little tired Miss I'm sure she'll be fine," I defended her.

"Hmm," she hummed disapprovingly and led me to the kitchen. As I helped with the entrees she continued on with how much she would miss Kareem and how even though he was a "downright dirty thug that she never approved of"  she would miss how much he cared about her and did whatever he could to help out and make her happy. Maybe he wasn't as hard as I thought he was, that day he came unannounced.

I came back into the living room to see Kaylin sitting with her dad.

"Hello Mr Walker," I smiled and shook his hand.

"Hey there son," he smiled back, "have a seat."

"How are you doing? I'm so sorry for your loss I can understand how hard it must be for you," I sympathised.

"I'm going to keep going strong because I know that's what Kareem would want me to do. At least I still have my four other children to keep me going," he looked down, "not to mention that hot piece of mine back in Columbia."

"Dad," Kaylin groaned as he let out a hearty laugh, almost dimming down the despondent atmosphere in the room.

"What I'm actually here for is to let you know that I'm actually working on getting your names cleared. I'm sorry I haven't been able to tell you about it, it's just that the signal in Colombia is straight up trash so I haven't been able to communicate with you," he explained. My heart skipped a beat.

"What have you got so far Dad?" Kaylin asked.

"I was suspecting that I can get some cops in New York to change the dockets of the case. Pin it on a serial killer that's been country hopping and has now landed up in Colombia. That way the suspicion shifts," he nodded.

"And what about us running away from New York, won't that raise any questions?" I asked.

"Don't worry, I know a couple of cool cats in Brazil that can forge books and make it seem like you were on some month long romantic getaway. I just need to iron out the kinks but I think we could make this work," he brought his voice down to a whisper, "you have to keep hiding here in Oregon. The day everything is put together I'm gonna send a plane over from Colombia to here that's gonna take you to New York. I'll get a driver to come get you from your place. I'll tell him to wear something specific. Let's say he's going to come wearing a chauffeur's uniform that way you know you're not getting set up."

"Thanks dad," Kaylin smiled for the first time in days, that made me happy.

"Thank you Mr Walker we really appreciate it," I smiled with her.

"No problem y'all I'll do anything to protect you," he smiled.