22

Hayes

I was sitting on the couch, Zan in my lap as I stroked his head. Suddenly I heard the door fly open and in floated a floppy body. She dropped her bag and practically almost fell to the ground. It was Kaylin. And it was about to be the end of the third day she had been gone.

"Kaylin," I moved Zan off my lap and stood up. I held her in my arms as she struggled to stand.

"Hayes," she dragged out my name, "I can't feel anything."

"What's going on?" I asked her and then the stench hit my nostrils, "did you smoke weed?"

"Yes," she smiled weakly. Suddenly her body weight doubled and I had to hold her up. I brought her to the couch and sat her down. I went to the kitchen to get her a glass of water and came back to give to to her.

"Where the hell have you been?" I tried to keep my composure but I was furious. She comes back after disappearing for three days, hammered as fuck and she doesn't even have any remorse.

"I was heading for the border," she slurred as she struggled to drink her water.

"To where?" I asked.

"Mexico," she sighed and spilt some water on her jacket.

"Kaylin you were gonna leave the country? What if you got caught by border control?" I bombarded her with questions.

"I wasn't going to get caught. I had a plan," she closed her eyes, trying to focus on her words.

"And how were you gonna let me know about the plan? I didn't even know where you were. Kaylin you left me all alone, you promised that we were in this together," I groaned. I was getting really frustrated.

"I'm alone in all of this!" she yelled, "my mom told me I was terrible for bringing you into this when clearly everything is mine fault. We can't do this anymore Hayes. I'm a screw up, don't let me drag you down with me in this."

"Kaylin," I began but she started standing up, "where are you going?"

"I knew coming back here was a mistake," she gritted through her teeth. It's as if she started to sober up with her anger.

"Kaylin you can't leave again," I grabbed her arm and she shot me a look.

"Watch me asshole," her cold voice flew into my ears as she go out of my grip and walked out the door again. She vanished before I could even call after her again.