㉕You Never Did, Anyway

Taehyung swallowed past the lump in his throat as he rose to his feet, fencing in his tears, and he ventured to set a hand on his shoulder, but the younger jerked back. He grasped his forearm and didn’t let go, even when Jeongguk started flailing to free himself.

“Just stop,” Taehyung said as he snatched his other hand too and let a stuttering breath fall from his lips when the boy gradually ceased his movements. “I don’t care about what people say. People will always have something to say about us, even if we don’t do anything. You can’t let what they say affect you. It’s not worth it. It’s not worth your time or your energy.

“And you definitely shouldn’t get angry when you hear things about me. Who cares what they say about me? If they don’t have anything better to do than criticize others, then let them do what they know to do best. I don’t care. And you shouldn’t care either. Not when it comes to me at least.”

“Kim,” he whispered as he pulled his hands away with delicate moves and laid his eyes on him. “Stop giving them rights. And cut the act. I know you care. You’re the type of person who cares. You know how I know that? Because you want to keep everyone around you happy. A guy like that cares about people’s opinions. Don’t you think?”

Every word settled on his chest like a stone, pushing it down more and more, harder and harder until it dropped. “You’re right. But you’re the type of person who doesn’t care. Why the sudden change?”

“The answer should be clear by now.”

“Nah, it can’t be. There’s no way.”

“Fine, then. I don’t like hearing things about people I know. That’s who I am. So either stop giving them rights or don’t ever talk to me again.”

Taehyung gazed at him at length, trying to find a gleam of humor in his eyes, but a flash of anxiety coursed through his veins when he found none.

“Sorry to interrupt, but Jeongguk, you can’t blackmail someone just so they act the way you want them to. That’s selfish.”

“Well, I’m selfish.”

“You can’t be serious,” Taehyung blurted out with a harried chuckle. “You can’t tell me what to do. You’re not even my friend. And what the hell? You can fuck whoever you want, but I can’t even make out with someone because you have a problem with it? What kind of bullshit is that?”

“I agree, well, except for the curse part. There’s no need to curse,” Mr. Kung said rather casually as he made a dismissive hand gesture.

“Yah, are you teaming up on me now?”

“Don’t yah me, young man.” He pointed a cautionary finger at him. “And yes, we are. What you’re asking is absurd. He has the right to do whatever he wants.”

“Fine. Do whatever you want. Be the little slut everyone is calling you. Be a desperate bitch. I don’t give a fuck anymore.”

Taehyung huffed at his words, contempt mixed with heartache veiling his features. “You never did, anyway.” He turned to the principal, repressing the sudden teardrops that beaded at the corner of his eyes. “I’m very sorry for causing trouble. Please give me my punishment so I can leave.”

“I don’t want to, Taehyung. Your parents—“

“It’s okay. I can handle it. You said no form of violence goes unpunished in this university. I don’t want you to make an exception for me.”

Mr. Kung looked up at the boy with a tight-lipped, sad smile as he released a nasal sigh. “Suspension for one day. I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. It’s my fault.” Taehyung made a ninety-degree bow and kept the position for a bit more than normal as the tears he strove to smother before flowed down his cheeks like a waterfall. “Happy holidays, Mr. Kung,” he was barely able to utter his last remark as a sob bubbled at the back of his throat, and he bolted out of the office just a second before he broke down throughout.