㊱We'll See About That

The previously silent cafeteria filled with the students’ sonorous voices and laughs in the blink of an eye once the bell rang, ready to relish their one-hour break.

After getting something to eat, the seven boys sat at their usual table and began bantering about an array of things. But as a few minutes passed, Yoongi detected something rather strange, and it didn’t take too long for everyone else to notice it as well.

Jeongguk wasn’t holding his notebook or his cooking book as he ate. He was instead conversing with the others and even cracking smiles here and there.

The realization hushed them up and incited them to share baffled glances, narrowing their eyes on him at last.

Carefree and unaware, the younger took another bite of the delicious sandwich, but halted every movement when their intense gaze came to his attention. He continued to chew at a slow pace, all out confused about what was happening, and placed the sandwich down as he gulped. “What?”

“You’re talking to us,” Jimin spouted off.

“You don’t even have your notebook on the table,” Seokjin added a second later.

Jeongguk stayed still, looking back at them with the same puzzled expression as a flash of surprise streamed through him by his own actions.

It was the first time he had left his notebook and cooking book in his locker instead of bringing them with him, and that was because Taehyung went outside of his classroom to accompany him since his teacher let them go a bit earlier.

And he was so thrilled to see the boy again he forgot about anything else.

He dropped his head once he registered what had happened and cleared his throat as he shifted in his seat, feeling a tad embarrassed to admit it.

“Guys, stop making him feel uncomfortable,” Taehyung said with a faint chuckle by the younger’s cuteness, giving a chain of fond caresses on his back. “We’re just a little surprised, that’s all.” He redirected his gaze to him and smiled softly, but he stiffened soon after as his eyes traveled behind Jeongguk, landing on the two guys he overheard talking about the Jeon tragedy yesterday.

Brows knitted in an irritated frown, he chose to disregard their piercing stare, which was riveted on Jeongguk, thinking they would stop at some point.

“Sorry, Kook. We’re actually happy you’re chatting with us instead of being in your own world,” Seokjin reassured with a beam, and everyone nodded in agreement.

“That’s the power of love, you know that right?” Jimin leaned closer and whispered to the younger of the group, clearly teasing him.

“Shut up,” he murmured as he shot him a glower, but a smile surfaced on his lips upon seeing Jimin burst into subdued giggles.

Suddenly, the entire cafeteria fell dead silent when a booming bang resounded through the place, startling most of the students.

Taken aback, the six boys also gazed at Taehyung, who was now standing with his hands still planted on the table from the bang he created, a dark aura of fury engulfing him. “Are we a television or a mirror or something?”

It was obvious that his crossly spoken question was directed to those two boys from yesterday who didn’t stop staring at Jeongguk and whispering things to each other at all. They shared a look, trying not to seem intimidated, and the black-haired, unnamed boy spoke. “No?”

“Then why the hell are you staring at us?”

“Is it illegal?” he asked with a snort and turned to his friend, both cracking up.