Chapter 5 : Mr. Irresistable

When we arrive in front of the bar, Brooke walks in before us to find a vacant spot for her and Braden. I want to tell her that there's no need to do so because it won't be that crowded at this hour, but she is sauntering away before I can even fully open my mouth. She leaves us alone with Braden and I don't think she wasn't planning this before.

I don't want to be alone with Braden. I don't trust myself around him and it will already be hard enough to work tonight, knowing he was there to see my every move.

I allow myself one glance at him and I can tell he is nervous about something. He is gripping his hair with his right hand and it makes me bite my lip because I would really like to go through his hair with my own hands.

He looks at me then and I hold his gaze. We are just staring at each other for some time before I clear my throat and decide it will be me who'll break our spell first. "So ... I have to go in before I'll be late," I tell him, not looking at him.

When he doesn't answer, I nod my head to myself and decide to just go inside. I know it was a bad thing staying alone with him. It's obvious we can't have a normal conversation. And I am afraid his reasons of not be able to communicate with me properly weren't the same as mine.

Just when I am about to open the door, I feel him grab my arm, turning me around and trapping me against a wall, successfully stopping me with his body from going anywhere. My heart instantly starts beating faster and I can barely breathe, due to our closeness. My eyes are wide, following his every move.

His face is a mask of emotions - I can't read it for dear life. We are staring at each other, me still being shocked from his bold movement, and him just trying to read my expression. He shakes his head and takes a deep breath. "Rory, I just ... I want to apologise for my behaviour before. I know I came off a bit rude and harsh, but that wasn't my intent. If I let you walk alone in the dark and anything happened to you ..." He closes his eyes and takes some deep breaths, trying to calm himself. When he opens his eyes, they are distant and sad and it makes my chest tighten. "I wouldn't forgive myself," he whispers brokenly.

I can't help myself; I put my hand on his arm and rub it softly. He looks so vulnerable and I don't know what to do to cheer him up because I don't even understand him fully. It isn't a sight I wanted to remember - this big, controlled man who got everything he wanted and before who people were falling to their knees and worshipped the ground he was walking on being so broken in front of me.

"Braden, it's okay. I'm not mad, I understand. Nothing will happen to me." It is the only way I can reassure him. I am looking him in the eyes the whole time, trying to prove my point.

It seems to help a bit because his face softens and he nods his head. He probably starts to notice that our bodies and faces are almost touching and a shock of electricity runs between us. My body starts tingling.

He parts his lips and he lowers his head. My eyes become even wider and I follow his every move. My body becomes still as a rock and I can't even move a muscle in me. We are staring at each other's eyes and his are burning into mine, into my soul. It's unnerving.

We are inches away from touching our lips, our breaths are mixing together, but he stops and lowers his head then steps away from me. I shut my eyes at the loss of warmth and because I don't want him to see the disappointment on my face.

He was going to kiss me. Holy mother of God, he was going to kiss me! But he stopped himself. And I want to punch him in the face for making me so worked up and then not doing anything about it. Or I just want to launch myself at him and beg him to kiss me for a full hour right here against the wall. Fuck breathing.