Chapter 18 : Mr. Romantic

PLEASE READ (IT'S IMPORTANT!):

1. Next week on Monday, August 3rd, there will not be an update. Why? Because I'm on vacations (yay, finally!) and I won't have my computer with me. But there will be an update a week after, on August 10th.

2. I just wanted to remind you that if you want to get an e-mail when I post a new chapter, you have to follow me.

3. Don't forget to vote and comment! xx

''We're going to New York?'' I ask puzzled, disbelief crossing my face. ''What for?'' In all honesty, I've never been to New York. Yes, it isn't even a two-hour drive to New York and I've never gone there. Shame on me! But truly? It's been my dream city since I was little. I never imagined I would visit it with someone I have that kind of relationship with.

Braden smiles that secret smile. ''That I'm keeping a secret.'' He grins at my expression. ''A man has to keep some things to himself,'' he says gently, obviously with double meaning again. God, I wish he would stop doing that. Saying things like that and messing with my head with his double meanings. It's so hard to read it – so hard to get to know him.

Braden holds a coat for me to slip on. The fall is coming to an end and it's probably just days before it starts snowing. Braden casts one more appreciative gaze at my heels and then escorts us out.

''So, what more surprises do you have up your sleeve? We're driving there with limousine?'' I joke, cracking a laugh. Braden stays serious and I stop in mid-step. I look at him, horrified. ''No. No way, Braden.'' I stare at him long and hard so he knows I mean business.

No way in hell am I driving in a limousine. No matter how much money Braden has, it's not a case for me. I'd rather drive myself there in my shit-piece of a car than go in the limousine with Braden.

Braden puts a hand on my cheek, gently caressing it. I relax at his touch somewhat, but there's still some tension left in my body. ''If you're with me, you should get used to stuff like that, Rory,'' Braden says seriously, but calmly, with patience. Like he's explaining something to a child. I hate that tone of his, but on the other hand, I love it. It's soft and gentle and I could listen to it all day.

I purse my lips stubbornly. ''Why would we need to drive to New York with a limousine, Braden? Shit, I know you're rich and all, but it doesn't mean I'm suddenly going to act like a spoiled bitch.'' His eyes harden, and me being an idiot, I add some gas to the already flaming fire. ''I'd rather drive with my care there.''

Braden's hand comes from my cheek to my shoulder, where he squeezes it almost painfully. I wince, but he doesn't notice it. He's too busy fumingly gazing at me. ''Stop swearing, god damn it, Rory,'' he grits through his teeth. ''And what's the big deal with what we drive with?''

I place a hand on my hip and narrow my eyes right back at him. ''Oh, I can't swear, but you can? Funny thing, Braden, but I don't have to do everything you fucking say!'' I bellow. ''And the big deal is, some people don't have enough money to have fancy cars just like you do. I see no point in driving somewhere in a limousine.'' I put my hand on my forehead and laugh dryly. ''Fuck, can you see how stupid and pointless this conversation is? We're literally arguing for nothing!''

Braden sighs and drops his eyes on the ground. ''It was a joke, anyway,'' he says.

I draw my eyebrows together in confusion. ''What was?''

''Taking a limousine. I have my car waiting for us, but we'll have a driver taking us,'' he says carefully like I'm a ticking bomb that is going to explode again.