012.

012.  cadie saves a life

CADIE WAS in an utter state of pure panic when she heard the little happy yet totally sardonic laughter come from the giant. by the way, totally not cool of them. the giant yelled with glee, the loud thumps and stops made even worse when polyphemus gloated, "i got nobody!"

they all crept to the cave entrance and saw the cyclops grinning wickedly, holding up empty air. the monster shook his fists for a moment, and a baseball cap fluttered to the ground. there was annabeth, hanging upside down by her legs, looking dazed but still completely annoyed.

"hah!" the cyclops said, "nasty invisible girl! already got feisty one for wife. means you gotta be grilled with mango chutney!"

annabeth struggled, looking dazed. she had a nasty cut on her forehead and her eyes were glassy. beside cadie, percy whispered, "i'll rush him. our ship is around the back of the island. you guys can-"

"no way," the rest of them said at the same time. was percy for real? cadie wondered. sure, she respected and admired the guy- pretty much thought of him as some sort of unattainable friend and celebrity when first on the quest. but now she really did wonder if he was just a bit stupid. did he really expect the rest of them to just leave him there as they all fled? no thank you.

clariss had armed herself with a highly collectible ramshorn spear from the cyclops' grave and grover (though looking horrified about it) helped a sheep's thigh bone up, ready to attack. she looked thoughtfully before shifting her car keys to her piccolo, gripping it tightly, "we'll take him together."

"bash him around a few times," added clarisse.

"yeah," nodded grover. blinking a few seconds later, as if he couldn't believe he'd just agreed with clarisse about something.

"alright then," percy said, "attack plan macedonia."

surprisingly, cadie knew what this was about. she was never one to pay attention in training courses at camp, sort of wasn't her thing. but she knew the basics. they would all sneak around either side and attack the cyclops from the flanks, with perhaps percy and cadie standing in front trying to keep his attention. it did mean they'd probably all die instead of just percy, but bonding experiences- am i right?

without a fear in the world, unlike cadie at the given moment, percy lifted up his sword and shouted, hey ugly!"

she didn't like where this was going.

"another one? who are you?" yelled the giant.

"put my friend down!" percy yelled, "i'm the one who insulted you!"

"you're nobody?"

oh she did not like where this was going.

"that's right, you smelly bucket of nose drool!" percy yelled, his insult not quite having the finesse of annabeth's, "i'm nobody and i'm proud of it! now, put her down and get over here. i want to stab your eye out again!"

"raaar!" he bellowed.

the good news: he dropped annabeth. the bad nws: he dropped her headfirst onto the rocks, where she lay motionless as a rag doll. the other bad news: polyphemus was barrelling towards percy, a thousand smelly pounds of big ugly misogynist that he'd have to fight with a small sword.

"for pan!" grover suhed in from the right, throwing his sheep bone that bounced harmlessly off of the cyclopses head.

clarisse ran in from the right, setting her pear against the ground, just in time for the cyclops to step on it. he wailed in pain, and clarisse dove out of the way to avoid getting trampled. but the cyclops just plucked out the shaft like a large splinter and kept advancing for percy. all while cadie froze in shock, gripping her piccolo tightly and wondering just what the fuck she was going to do.