008.

008. lily's great escape

LILY WALSH was having a shitty time, to put it real nicely for everybody out there. like, super cool 'why-is-everybody-against-me-i-just-want-some-sort-escape-from-my-parents-please-don't-let-the-evil-demons-known-as-my-parents-find-me' sort of shitty time. she thought escaping from her parents house and running away would... be a good thing. honestly, she thought to herself that maybe she'd be able to relax with her friends for a week- and that, hey! if i pray to my dad a lot then i might not have to go back! she's the outwardly snarky and happy-go-lucky kinda type. so.... the whole being denied a quest thing really sucked.

of course the quest was her best option, and it had just been taken away from them. they wouldn't be in the same place. so when her parents eventually realised the first place she would run to would be camp (give or take a week for that, their parents were really aware of her. they hardly ever cared so what's the point in that?), they'd try calling chiron. and by then, lilly would be gone. they'd have to search round countless places in the country then for her. they'd never be in one place, and by the time she worked her way back to camp they might have just forgotten about her. that was one reason for the quest.

the other was because she felt this weird sense of duty to save annabeth chase, some girl she barely knew but felt honour-bound to find. lilly had decided from a young age that they weren't really about guys- and yes maybe they hadn't came out to her parents yet, but would you blame her? she'd reside in the closet to those two bastards for the rest of her life. it was another reason she liked camp so much. the fourteen year old (nearly fifteen- a few more moths until april!) found a safe space at camp. and for some damn reason, annabeth chase was just residing in her mind right now. she shouldn't feel as devastated as caide and percy, because she didn't know annabeth well. her and annabeth chase had a mutual friend (cadie), but beside form the occasional talking where lilly's charm and fantastic people skills flopped miserably, there was nothing.

she couldn't blame cadie either, not really. it wasn't her fault this zoë girl was obsessed with her. from what cadie had told them, they knew each other in a past life- a life where cadie looked exactly like she did in the past life zoë knew her in. but what lilly couldn't get out of her mind was why zoë was being so territorial. zoë didn't know cadie in this life- and cadie in this life was definitely different from all her other lives. and besides, the way she straight up said no to them going on the quest? rude. in the bad books already.

and then of course, this all just accumulated together into a big mess. it was honestly quite disturbing how perfectly dumb everything turned out. you see, lilly was just ready to accept her fate, lay down and say ok- time to go back to my asshole parents/guardians. she was ready to admit defeat.

and then a pegasus with blinding white pegasus nearly trampled her on her morning run. and then, everything just got real shitty.

if we're gonna be honest with each other? lilly thought they'd died and saw an angel. but then she heard snorting and hooves, and she was pretty sure angels didn't looked like horses. in all panic and weirdness, she'd hardly noticed that no, she wasn't dead, and no it wasn't an angel either. they were... staring face to face with a pegasus- two actually. the one that nearly trampled her stood in the front. blinding white wings in the morning sun, shining like an angel (can you see why she thought it was one?). and the other was midnight black, and from what lilly knew that was really rare. it snorted and stomped it hooves, trotting a bit nervously towards her, carrying-