014.

014. the party ponies

THE SHORT lived moment of bravery died. but luke seemed amused with her trying efforts and stared at her, as if to say oh she wants to fight me? ha! the gold shimmering from her car keys stopped after a moment, and she silently prayed it was something she could work with- maybe her piccolo, her flute... maybe even her fiddle. but gods... all she prayed for was that it wasn't the worst one, the one she couldn't use even if she tried- the one which was the bain of her existence. her sword.

guess which weapon she had?

her sword.

oh fuck, she was screwed.

"you became confident, didn't you?" jested luke, looking at her with a devious and malevolent sort of look. "but you were never good with a sword, cadie."

and he was right. she was terrible with a sword... quite possibly the worst. she never used it, she never trained with it properly- and the only reason it was there was because camp deemed it a necessity for everybody to have  proper weapons. or at least one. she'd never learnt properly how to use it- only a few measly training sessions.

"i'll give you a chance to back out, diaz," luke continued, "we all know you won't last a minute."

that got her annoyed.

"you were always too mouthy for your own good, castellan," snapped cadie immediately, "why don't you put yourself up to the test? you have all the time in the world" (not really) "- so use it. or... are you too afraid?"

where the fuck had the confidence come from?!

"afraid?" scoffed luke, "of a thirteen-year-old destined to die?" he let out a cynical laugh, "if anything i'll speed up your fate."

"bold words, bitchboy," she snarked, trying to figure out how to hold her sword. hopefully- she looked confident- because inside, she was panicking with alarm bells sounding around her mind. "let's see if they're true."

"i'll be fair," he smiled, "no shield. i'll stoop to your level."

and with that, the fight began.

luke was fast- ferocious, and cadie forgot how good of a sword fighter he was. she'd sit in on the hermes lessons sometimes, after the apollo cabin had finished with their activity- perhaps when there was a period of nothing to do. she'd go and watch as luke taught sword fighting to his siblings. he was crazy good- like seriously good. one of the finest swordsman at camp before he... you know- left to start an evil group set on fucking everything up and taking over olympus.

he ran at her with speed, cocky and knowing he'd win. he made a jab at her with his sword- backbiter, but she managed to dodge it somehow. moving, she ran to the side and forwards, hoping that was a good strategy. for now, she would run, avoid, and generally try not to get herself stabbed.  but she knew it was only a matter of time before she'd actually have to try swinging her sword.

she let out a yelp as luke's sword cut through the air where she'd just stood and scrambled back, her hair flying to her face. she could hear him moving, he was to the right of her- moving slowly now- probably trying to sneak up on her. she twirled around and managed to kick him in the chest, causing him to fall back and grunt loudly. his minions came forward to try and help but luke snarled, "stop!" he gave her an unhinged grin, "you got better- but you can't run forever."