Prologue

The slow rhythm of her pencil tapping against the small tray the plane provided her, mixed with a low grunt from the person beside her could not soothe the uneasiness that grew within her being. Biting her lower lip in an attempt to calm herself down, there was nothing the girl could do for help. As she began fidgeting with the eraser in her free hand, she looked down at her workbook with desperate eyes that pleaded for her to relax. 

She had taken it upon herself to fly to the Miyagi prefecture located in Japan as it was the location of where her hospitalized grandfather was being held. Deciding it would be a good idea to spend her grandfather's last few months on this earth with him, she believed it would be best if she was to fly to Japan to keep him company before he ultimately passed away. 

Originally she thought nothing of it. When she was called that her grandfather had fallen ill, she immediately purchased a plane ticket and departed with all of her belongings to go visit him as soon as possible. She had always been one to plan ahead so finding a school and place to stay was simple. However, one thing she could not control was the sentiments in which overwhelmed her. 

She could not fathom what it would be like living in an entirely different country from the one she was used to so it was hard to accept the fact that everything would be foreign to her. As much as she tried to convince herself that that was not her top priority, she could not help but feel nervous about finally landing. 

However, when the time came and the pilot announced that the plane was going to land, the girl quickly buckled her seatbelt before rushing to put all of her belongings in her carry-on bag. Squeezing her eyes shut, she firmly clasped her hands together, making it so there was visible white around her knuckles. 

Taking in deep breaths, the person beside her tapped her shoulder lightly, acquiring her attention. 

"Miss, are you okay?" the man inquired in the best English he could manage. 

It was obvious to her that the man was a native of Japan as his Japanese accent overruled his English, but she didn't let this get to her. She simply said she was fine, thanking him for his concern in Japanese so he did not need to stress about whether or not what he was saying made at all any sense to her. 

"Oh, I'm glad. It's just that throughout the entire time I've been seated next to you, you've seemed rather lost in thought," he admitted. 

"I didn't mean to bother you! I'm just nervous is all," she spoke with a sad smile. 

When the man looked at her questioning, she told him how everything would have been new to her and how she would most-likely find trouble when trying to travel to different areas. So in order to soothe her, he decided to tell her everything he knew about the Miyagi prefecture. Ranging from different restaurants and how to travel from her apartment complex to the hospital in which her grandfather stayed. 

By the time the man was finished, all of her previous stress dissipated and without her knowledge, the plane had already started to descend and was now only mere seconds away from landing. As she looked out the window, she counted to herself: Three, two, one...

When the plane came to a complete stop, everyone around her including the man beside her, clapped for safe arrival. She originally had not understood why, but just to not be the odd one out, she joined in.

As everyone began alighting the plane, she thanked the kind man who guided her throughout the process of the plane's descent and where and how to access each location within the prefecture. 

After waving goodbye, she went to collect her luggage and made her way out of the airport. 

Stopping near the entrance, the automatic doors opened, revealing the new country in which she would live. 

"Greetings, Japan."