Chapter 7

The walk towards (Y/n)'s apartment complex was silent. As the two strolled side-by-side, the redheaded friend tried his best to uplift his female friend's mood but to no avail. No matter how hard he tried to convince her to keep her mind off of something she could not prevent, she remained as quiet as before, not bothering to look or speak to the male beside her. 

With a sigh, he adjusted his gaze towards the sidewalk, putting his hands in his sweater pocket as he made this action. Tendou took no offence to what (Y/n) was doing, if the girl was not willing to reply then he knew there was nothing he could do about it. If someone was not feeling the best and it was evident enough for people to notice, it would do no good in asking if they were okay; that was the equivalent of asking someone who was crying if they were feeling alright. In times like those, all anyone could do to help is remain silent or calm them down by patting their back depending on what type of person they were.

With his umbrella now closed, the aroma of the previous rainfall settled in the air, leaving it to smell petrichor-esque. Lazily watching as water slipped into drains, he knew nothing of how to get the girl to cheer up, much less get her to talk to him at all. As he softly looked down at the smaller girl, he thought back to something her grandfather said. He had mentioned something about (Y/n) being his only living family member which caught him off guard. If that statement was true, had that meant (Y/n) did not have parents? Or could she possibly be adopted? As his mind swarmed with all sorts of different possibilities, he felt a hand gently pushing him back. Taking him out of his perpetual thoughts. 

Looking up from where the hand was placed, Tendou realized (Y/n) had stopped him from walking onto the busy streets which an array of cars passed without care. 

"Thank you..." Tendou stated quietly, not wanting to bother the girl with his normally boisterous voice. 

With a timid hum, the girl removed her hand and intertwined it with her other before speaking up, clearing the silence in which she left Tendou to endure. 

"I apologize. I never meant for you to be here or undergo what you heard. Thankfully since I know how to get here, as a result of you showing me the way, you no longer have to experience that same scenario again," (Y/n) spoke, letting the first few words of her sentence come out more as croaks because of her previous crying. 

"Hey, hey, it's not a problem. I mean, I wouldn't have wanted you to go through that by yourself. Plus, both the team and I were the ones who pushed me to go with you so... And I think it would have been better for me to come anyways, your grandpa seemed really happy," he reasoned. 

"I really cannot thank you enough. It means a lot to me, please let me repay you," (Y/n) looked up at the boy with eager eyes, wanting to do whatever it took to reimburse him. 

"You really don't have to-"

"Please?! How about I show you to my apartment? I can help you with work since sometimes in class I see you squinting at the teacher as if you don't understand some of the things he's saying! Or I can even make you something to eat!" she pleaded for the boy abruptly. 

Though it may have seemed like an odd reaction to make, this was (Y/n)'s only coping mechanism. She needed to feel as though she was useful in some way to someone in order to get rid of the guilt of letting somebody else down. These actions might have seemed selfish but when Tendou looked at the girl begging him to let her help him, he somewhat understood what was going on in the smaller girl's mind. 

"Alright." 

"...Thank you..." the girl whispered, unclasping her hands and resting one of her fists to her chest, gently patting it, trying to calm herself. 

Smiling at (Y/n) he gave her a thumbs-up, trying to brighten the gloomy mood.

"No problemo~" he winked

Letting a small grin edge onto her face, she looked back at the ground, thankful the boy beside her did not get weirded out by her sporadic emotions. 

When the two reached her apartment complex, she grabbed his hand before quickly making it to her room where she then apologized for any of the potential mess. Opening the door, Tendou whistled at the sight. He did not understand what (Y/n) meant by "potential mess", maybe it was that her room in Canada was messy and that since she had yet to find the time in order to make her current living space reflect that of her previous one, but damn had he ever seen a room as tidy as this.

"I'm going to get changed, umm, if you want to change as well I believe my clothes might fit you... I purchase clothes that are too big for me as a result of me not wanting to buy new ones if my old ones don't fit. When I do this, I usually end up tightening the string that sticks out of it. It's kind of like the ones on some sweatpants," she described, not knowing the proper term. 

"Oh, that would be nice," Tedou agreed. 

"Okay, I'll be right back." 

Quickly taking off her shoes as she was still standing at the entryway of her apartment, she dashed into her bedroom, leaving Tendou in the living area of her small abode. Taking off his own shoes, he sat on one of her chairs situated in the kitchen. As he admired her living space, he was caught off guard when (Y/n) came back in only a t-shirt and shorts. 

When she placed Tendou's soon-to-be worn clothing on the table, she brushed her hair out of her face before tying her apron around her waist as she quickly turned to Tendou with an uncertain smile. 

"What would you like for dinner?"