Chapter 3

After lunch, the day seemed to be moving at a regular pace. Students were either paying attention or staring out the window before being called out by the teacher and receiving a warning. With her notes completely written, she took a highlighter, making sure to highlight all of the important information before re-reading what she had written, making sure she committed everything to memory. When (Y/n) raised her head, she examined as the girl beside her carefully decorated her notes. She had never found any importance in making notes look neat or "aesthetic" as most would put it. To her, it was a waste of time for she thought notes did not need to look good in order for her to study them. She did not judge though, if this was how some people found it most easy to learn, so be it.

As it had just recently been stated that the teacher was giving the students a work period, (Y/n) took out her math workbook and began answering the questions in which the exercise held. With every passing question, the girl would contemplate whether what she was writing was correct, however, since the work did not need to be submitted but just reviewed by her as the teacher read out the answers, she brushed the thoughts aside, not finding any use in debating with herself.

When she had completed the first and second pages, she stretched, letting her gaze wander before locking with a pair of maroon eyes.

Tendou awkwardly stared at (Y/n), not knowing how to respond to her catching him. If anything, he did not expect her to smile at him before offering a small wave as her cheeks were dusted a slight pink. Taken aback he returned the wave before quickly redirecting his own gaze towards his book. As he did this, all he could do was pray she did not think much of the interaction between the two of them and forget it as if it never even happened.

As time progressed and both Tendou and (Y/n)'s classes finished for the day, everyone got out of their seats, getting ready for either going home or their extracurricular activities. 

"Hey, (L/n)-chan," Tendou greeted, nervously, hooking his arm around the back of (Y/n)'s head.

"Hello, Tendou!" she greeted back, smiling up at the taller male.

"We should introduce you to the team's coach," Ushijima offered, entering the little chat the two classmates started.

"Are you sure that's a good idea? I haven't at all prepared for what I'm going to say, and from what I've heard from you guys, he seems pretty scary."

"You'll be fine," Ushijima reassured.

"Yeah! You'll be fine~ Have trust in the all-mighty Wakatoshi when he says you're gonna be okay~" Tendou added, swaying side-to-side with (Y/n) still hooked onto his arm as he guided both Ushijima and the (h/c)-haired girl out of the classroom.

"Okay then, I'll try to convince him to let me join as your guys' manager to the best of my ability!"

"Atta, girl!" Tendou cheered enthusiastically, patting (Y/n)'s head.

As the trio talked, the more anxious (Y/n) felt about being around them. They had been complete strangers the day before but now they were all buddy-buddy. What surprised (Y/n) the most was how Tendou acted as if he had known her ever since they were children, telling her all of the corniest jokes he knew and giving her all of the physical contact he had to offer.

When they reached the gym doors, (Y/n) was pulled out of her thoughts when she was roughly shoved into the gym. Being graced with the presence of the volleyball members in which she had previously met at lunch, practicing all of their drills.

"Yo, coach Washijo~"

"Tendou... who is she?" the coach inquired, crossing his arms before raising an eyebrow at the new girl.

"She's supposed to be our new manager," Ushijima answered, nonchalantly.

Eyeing the girl, the older man squinted, not understanding why the captain of the team would accept having a manager.

"What good would she do for the team? There is no need for one. The team's been doing fine on its own, has it not-? Hey! Are you even listening to me?"

Glaring at the girl, he watched as she observed the libero of the team; Hayato Yamagata. He had just failed to receive a ball that was close to having contact with the floor. Jogging a little closer towards him, (Y/n) gently cupped her hands around her lips, stating: "Hello, Hayato, was it? I remember you from lunch."

Closing the unnecessary gap between him and the girl, he nodded, listening to what the girl had to say. 

"If you want to retrieve a ball that's almost about to touch the ground, when you dive down, try forcing yourself down. It'll kind of feel like your body is being stretched."

"Cool, thanks," he said, before smiling and jogging off. 

"No problem!" (Y/n) replied. 

Focusing back onto the coach, she rubbed her nape before apologizing and saying that she would listen to the rest of what he had to say. 

"What is it that you will offer to the team other than what I can already do?" he inquired. 

"As I have already stated towards the rest of the team, I believe I am good at analyzing and note-taking. As a result of this, I can give you detailed reports on opposing teams so that our team is fully prepared for anything they have to throw at us!" (Y/n) stated confidently, clutching her fist up to her chest with a smile. 

Reaching into her bag, she took out her notes from previous classes, showing Washijo how detailed she could be. 

"In addition, as any manager would do, I am here to supply water and towels for anyone who needs it," she finished. 

Taking a hold of her notes, he examined each page, flipping each one with a look of satisfaction before nodding to himself and handing it back. 

"I do not know enough about you to make this a permanent position for you but from what I do know, you are well organized and your knowledge of volleyball is enough for me. You are now the temporary manager of the Shiratorizawa team."

"Thank you, sir!"