Chapter 20

Waking up to the sound of a yawn, Tendou stretched, letting out a groggy moan before sitting up. When Tendou lifted his arms to pop his joints, he cringed at the smell of his sweat. With him now getting up to take a shower, he heard something coming from his phone which had been currently charging beside his pillow.

"Wait, Tendou, you're still on the call?" (Y/n) asked, from the tone she used, she sounded awfully flustered.

"Yeah, is there something wrong with that? Hmm, were you doing something embarrassing?" Tendou teased.

"No! I mean, yes... I guess I might have been doing something. I always do it though, I just didn't expect someone to be listening to me," (Y/n) laughed nervously.

"What were ya doin' then?" Tendou inquired.

"Oh, umm... I was humming," the girl on the receiving side of the call admitted, her face red from what she had said.

"Aww, too bad I didn't get to hear it," the redhead pouted, wanting to have heard what (Y/n) sounded like as he had already adored the way her voice sounded when she spoke.

"Oh, thank goodness! I'm so happy you didn't hear me, ha, ha. I don't sound the best."

Childishly puffing out his cheeks, he could not imagine how she had thought that way about herself.

"But, (Y/n)-chan! You always sound adorable to me~"

"I-" was all (Y/n) could muster before changing the subject. "We should get ready for school. We'll be late if we keep talking like this."

"Oh yeah, whoops, I forgot. Alrighty then, I'll see you in about 45 minutes, (Y/n)-chan. Talk to you later!"

"Bye-bye, Tendou, I'll see you then."

The conversation had ended as the two bid farewell. With them now getting ready and finishing things they had forgotten to complete the day before, they hurriedly packed their bags and awaited each other's meeting.

As Tendou now strolled side-by-side with Ushijima, already 10 minutes away from his house, Tendou discussed the events of the previous night to his friend and how he had thought that if the three of them were to spend more times like that together, they could count it as bonding time. With Tendou now discussing when their next meet-up could be, Ushijima told him when he was free and when the two could hang out separately if (Y/n) did not have the time in her schedule.

Reaching (Y/n)'s apartment complex, (Y/n) waved towards the two best friends, shouting a greeting. As they both greeted back, (Y/n) joined the two for yet another day at school. When the trio arrived, they began taking their indoor shoes out of the small lockers they were given, and like before, a small piece of paper slipped out of Tendou's locker.

His reaction was most surprising to (Y/n) for unlike the last time this occurred, he did not just violently shove it into his pocket but rip it before even looking at its contents.

"Goddammit. Why is this always happening?" Tendou questioned quietly to himself, not knowing he was audible enough for (Y/n) to have heard what he was saying.

Unconsciously, (Y/n) dragged her hand over the part of her bag that held the note that had fallen onto the floor a day prior. She questioned if what the note had written on it was what was affecting him in this way as the form in which he had reacted to receiving it was not natural. Without questioning it any further, (Y/n) decided that she would later read the note in private. Even if it was none of her business, she wanted to do at least something to ease her friend's pain as he did hers.

With them now heading to class, the girl's first period had now begun, leaving her enough time to think about what she was going to do later.

As per usual, Tendou would stare at (Y/n) at any given moment. Writing her notes, he could not comprehend how she remained the way she was. Even with her hair covering part of her face, Tendou could not understand how whenever she went to brush it away with her index finger, he felt a wave of attraction towards her. It had been such a small action that had such a huge impact on him.

With his routine now coming to a halt as the bell rang for lunch, everyone except for the trio left the classroom, instead, waiting for all of them to finish collecting their stuff and then leaving. When they got their food and met up with the rest of the volleyball team, (Y/n) excused herself from the table after around 15 minutes before discreetly taking the small slip of paper from her bag before and making her way towards the girls' washroom.

When she entered the washroom, she made sure no one was in it before opening the paper to reveal the cruel message written on it.

Stop looking at her, weirdo. It's creepy coming from someone like you.

Was what (Y/n) was horrified to read. (Y/n) was quickly able to piece everything together, understanding that the person writing the note was implying that Tendou had kept staring at her. She was not blind, she herself knew that Tendou would watch her during class but never said anything because it never bothered her. He had never been creepy about it so she never spoke up. However, now knowing that Tendou was getting bullied for it, made her heart clenched at the thought.

(Y/n) felt guilty for what Tendou had been going through, even if she was unable to know how it started. With this information (Y/n) now formulated a plan to put an end to the bullying.

As a result of her thinking that Tendou had received the note before class had started; meaning that it was placed in his desk before he was seated at it, (Y/n) concluded that the writer of the note went into the classroom during lunch to distribute it.

Rushing out of the washroom and towards the classroom, thinking that she might have been too late to catch the person who had written the message, which she was, (Y/n) opened the classroom door. To her horror, something disgusting was placed within her field of vision.

"What the hell?"