Chapter 5

As the sun shone brightly, peeking through her blinds, (Y/n) yawned, stretching her body before looking at the digital clock on her nightstand. With a groggy sigh, she got up and started her morning routine. The first thing she did was make her bed and walk up to her washroom, before washing her face and grabbing her toothbrush and toothpaste. As she brushed her teeth, she concluded that she would skip breakfast and buy cafeteria food to make things easier for her. 

When she spat out what remained of the toothpaste that was mixed with her saliva, she exited her bathroom and put her uniform on, straightening out any of the creases and brushing her hair out of her face before gently combing it with her hands. Picking up her phone, she found that Tendou had texted her, asking her if she could meet him in about 10 minutes so both he and Ushijima could walk her to school. 

Excitedly replying, (Y/n) gazed at her phone with a grateful expression. She had been grateful that she had approached Goshiki that previous morning for if she had not, she would have never been able to meet the volleyball team and made friends. When (Y/n) arrived in Japan, she was scared no one would want to make friends with a foreigner so when the team welcomed her with open arms, she could not help but feel happy. 

Taking her bag and keys, she jogged out of her apartment complex to see both Tendou and Ushijima waiting patiently for her. 

"Mornin', (Y/n)-chan~" Tendou greeted enthusiastically. 

"Good morning, (Y/n)-san," Ushijima added. 

"Good morning, you two!" 

Walking to school, the three engaged in conversation, talking about either home problems or upcoming school assignments (Y/n) would have to catch up on. With Tendou leading the conversation, things never seemed to become awkward as all the things he talked about were relatable to (Y/n) and the taller male beside her. As their conversation progressed, their walk to school soon ended and as they walked to their classroom, they parted ways in order to get to their desk, exchanging a "talk to you soon" before walking to their respective desks. 

When the teacher walked in and began teaching, (Y/n) began listening to all of the important things the teacher said and wrote, making her notes and trying to commit them to memory. As she was about to look up to see if the teacher had written anything new, from the corner of her eye she saw Tendou, once again, staring at her. She questioned to herself if it was her Tendou was looking at or the clock beside her located to her right. 

Testing to see if it was in fact her he was looking at, (Y/n) waved and smiled just as she did the previous day. This time, however, (Y/n) believed he was actually looking at the clock, because when she made that little gesture, his eyes adjusted a little in order for him to get a proper look at whatever had moved. 

Returning her gesture, he chuckled, watching the girl's face turn red from the obvious embarrassment she had as a result of getting her assumption wrong. 

Following the same routine as yesterday, the bell rang soon after, signally for the students to leave. As each one began piling out, Tendou and Ushijima approached (Y/n) as she waited for everyone else to leave before doing so herself. 

"Come on, (Y/n)-chan, let's go to the cafeteria to meet up with the team and eat!" Tendou exclaimed, grabbing the girl by the hand and ushering her towards the cafeteria with Ushijima following closely behind. As most began standing in a line to order their food, the three of third-years patiently waited for a turn to order as well. 

As Ushijima was ordering before (Y/n), she decided to order the same thing as him since she thought what he got most resembled curry. She was still not accustomed to the type of food Japan had so she could only do most things blindly and hope for the best. 

When everyone finished ordering, they sat themselves down at the table their team was able to get. 

"What do you guys want to do tomorrow? Today's Friday so I thought we could go out or something," Reon suggested. 

After a few accepted, Ushijima and (Y/n) were the only ones who declined, saying that they both had plans to do something else. While Ushijima said he wanted to practice and study, (Y/n) said she wanted to visit her grandfather as she had yet to do so ever since her arrival on Wednesday. 

"(Y/n)-chan, I can accompany you if you like," Tendou offered. 

"It's alright, I already know the location of the hospital so I should be fine. Thank you though," she replied, trying her best to decline as nicely as she could. 

"To be honest, (L/n)-san, I think you should go with Tendou. You're still rather new here so if you had someone with you, the likelihood of you getting lost would diminish," Goshiki intervened. 

With a few nods from everyone else, (Y/n) sighed before awkwardly looking to the side. 

"I understand where you guys are coming from but I don't want to bother any of you, especially Tendou. I shouldn't need special help because I'm new to everything. I can just use a map or something." 

Puffing his cheeks, Tendou stood up before putting both of his hands on either side of (Y/n)'s shoulders, looking down at her like a child. 

"But, (Y/n)-chan~" he whined, narrowing his eyes at her before continuing. "You're not going to bother me~ Think of it as bonding time. I'll only be dropping you off after all, and when you're done I'll pick you up. It'll take no longer than an hour of my day's time so it's fine!" he grinned. 

"But-"

"Nope! No buts! I'm going to guide the way for you tomorrow, (Y/n)-chan!" 

As she looked up at the boy with wide eyes, she quickly averted her gaze, thinking for a moment before looking back up. 

"Okay then..."