Chapter 4

"Welcome to the team, (L/n)-san!" everyone cheered in excitement, watching as the new girl bowed to them with a smile. 

As she felt a tap on her shoulder, she turned to see Tendou pointed towards Ushijima, telling her that the two of them would go change into their gym clothes so that she would be able to see as he put it, "the two best players on the team practice." Giggling at him, she waved, replying with: "I can't wait."

After waving at the redhead, she turned around to see coach Washijo clearing his throat, motioning for her to follow him as he made his way towards one of the benches that was located a few metres from where she stood. As they both sat down, she took out her notebook and began writing each players' names, listing where they could improve on and where they were already good at. Turning to Washijo, she asked him the height of each player, wanting to know if they could do better from where they stood in body proportions. Telling her each one's height, she thanked him, waiting for the "two best players on the team" to join the team's practice match. 

Walking into the gym, both Tendou and Ushijima discussed with the rest of the team who was going to join team A and who was going to join team B. After getting that settled, Tendou and Ushijima parted ways, wishing each other good luck and getting into position. 

After an estimate of 30 minutes, (Y/n) watched both Ushijima and Tendou's performance, taking notes of everything the two had done and places to improve. Ushijima had proved he was an excellent player as his spikes were both elegant and powerful. As much as Ushijima surprised her with the amount of practice he must have done in order to get to where he was now, Tendou marvelled her even more. The way in which he was able to predict where the ball was going to come each and every time was astonishing to her. It was not even practice that could have gotten him there, it was just his instinct. 

As she continued to watch the team play, she giggled when some of them were too scared to either block or retrieve a ball Ushijima had spiked. The part in which was most hilarious to (Y/n) was when Tendou purposely moved his arms out of the way when he faced directly towards Ushijima who got ready to spike and yelled: "Nope!"

As the sun began to set, all of the volleyball members went back into the changing rooms, taking a quick shower and putting their uniforms on. When they walked out, a few yawed and others sighed. After being dismissed by their coach, each one left in either pairs, trios or by themselves. 

When (Y/n) spotted Tendou about to leave with Ushijima, she caught up to them and began complimenting the two of them, just as she did to everyone else when the pair remained in the changing room. 

"Ushijima, your spikes were amazing! The way you're able to jump and quickly spike with all of your might is so cool!" the girl complimented, star-struck. 

"Thank you," he replied. 

"You too, Tendou! Your blocks are always on point! The way you're able to predict where the ball will go is incredible!" 

"Aw~ You're going to make me cry," he said, wiping away his figurative tears. 

Walking out of the gym, the three were graced with the warm tones the sky was decorated with as a result of the sun setting.

When everyone began parting ways, Goshiki forgot about the importance of walking his upperclassman home. He did not want (Y/n) getting lost so he quickly jogged up to her before stopping midway when he saw the three third-years walking together.  Smiling to himself, he knew he could trust Ushijima to not let the new girl get lost, Tendou not so much. 

"Hey, (L/n)-chan, since it's your first day and all, let's go to a convenience store! It'll be fun, I promise," he winked, taking the girl by the hand and walking in the store's direction in a silly manner. 

"Tendou, I don't think you should be doing that without her permission. What if (L/n) doesn't want to go?" the green-haired boy questioned. 

"It's fine, Ushijima-san. I don't mind at all, in fact, I think it will be fun," the girl answered. "Also, the two of you don't need to call me (L/n), I'm not really used to it since I previously lived in Canada. Just (Y/n) is fine." She rubbed her nape sheepishly. 

"Whatever you say, (Y/n)-chan~"

"Alright, (Y/n)-san."

Approaching a small convenient store, Tendou held the door for Ushijima and (Y/n), starting a casual conversation as they entered the store and browsed through the freezer sections. Stopping, Tendou opened one of the freezer doors and pulled out 3 popsicle sticks, one for each of them.  

As they got closer to the cashier, (Y/n) was about to reach into her bag to get her money when a hand interjected. 

"It's alright, I'll pay," Tendou said, wallet already in hand. 

When (Y/n) was about to speak up, he pressed his finger to her mouth, putting both his wallet and popsicles in the hands of his best friend. 

"Hush, hush, (Y/n)-chan. You, my wise friend, should not need to pay when I already have the money," he said, cupping the girl's cheeks and squishing them softly. 

After some time passed, Ushijima cleared his throat, making Tendou let go of the girl's face and quickly pay for the cold treats. 

Exiting the small establishment, the three opened the wrapper of their popsicles. When (Y/n) first licked it, her eyes lit up. She had always had a soft spot for sweet things so she enjoyed this. As they began walking, (Y/n) told the two the location of the apartment complex in which she stayed to which they deduced it would be best for that to be their first stop since it was closer than the two boys' houses. 

As the walk progressed, the three finished their popsicle. 

"Damn, not a winner. What about you, (Y/n)-chan?" 

"Winner?" she inquired. 

"Oh, you might not have these in Canada but in Japan some of the popsicles have writing on the tip of it saying if you won anything or not. Other times there are colours on the very top of the stick," Tendou explained. 

"Oh, I don't think I won anything then," she replied, gazing down at her popsicle stick. 

Looking up at Ushijima who held the stick in his hand, she watched as he made eye contact with her.

"I won," was all the boy said.

"You're so lucky, Wakatoshi," Tendou grinned. 

While the three continued to make their way to (Y/n)'s apartment complex, they discussed numerous things and when the time came for (Y/n) to depart, Tendou made sure to give her both his and Ushijima's phone numbers as a way to contact her if they ever felt like walking to school together. 

As (Y/n) waved goodbye to the two boys, she thanked them before making her way into the building. 

When she reached her apartment, she entered, placing the stick onto the table, looking rather fondly at it. She thought it would be a good idea to keep it as memorabilia in case she ever wanted to reflect on her first time going out with friends in Japan. 

As she quickly took a shower, brushed her teeth and changed clothes, she collapsed on her bed, whispering something to herself before covering herself with her blanket.

"Today was fun."