Chapter 17

With practice now over, the boys began to pile out of the gym, collecting all of their belongings and heading out in small groups. As everyone laughed and chatted, Tendou hugged (Y/n) from behind, catching her off guard. With his head now resting on top of hers, he gently rocked the both of them, not being shy when it came to showing affection. As the two gently spun around in each other's arms, a cough was what got the two of them to let go of their embrace.

"If you want to do that, do it somewhere else. Preferably, where there are no people watching," Shirabu said, rolling his eyes. His statement was more directed towards Tendou though since he was the one who started the little act of affection. (Y/n) was just playing along with him.

"Ha, ha, yeah," the red-haired male shrugged, tugging (Y/n)'s hand as he led her out of the gym with Ushjima following suit.

With the three of them walking towards (Y/n)'s apartment, Tendou suggested that they would all study for an upcoming test. Nodding, everyone agreed that they would and continued the walk with light chatter.

When the time came and (Y/n) unlocked her apartment door, Ushijima and Tendou walked in. As Ushijima admired the cleanliness of the living space, Tendou took off his shoes and rushed in with (Y/n) behind him.

As everyone seated themselves at a small table (Y/n) had everyone place their notebooks and supplies down before opening their textbooks and starting their review. With them now reviewing questions and writing their own respective answers before checking with everyone else, they spent the majority of their night making sure each of them understood the material.

What came most shocking to (Y/n) during this time was that Tendou was surprisingly good at the subject, knowing the majority of the answers without assistance. When (Y/n) asked him about it, he replied: "You can't expect me to be in class 3-A and not know anything, (Y/n)-chan. I do come off as someone who doesn't care much about school but that doesn't mean I don't try when the time comes for it."

Hearing this, it was something new to the (h/c)-haired girl. The boy never came off to be someone who actually put care into what he did so it was surprising to hear this.

Moving on, their review came to a finish as everyone had already checked their answers and made sure the three of them understood the unit before progressing with something new.

With (Y/n) taking her neatly written notes off of the table and back into her bag, everyone did the same, taking their belongings off and clearing the surface so that they could start an activity.

"So, what do you guys want to do?" (Y/n) spoke up, clearing the silence that filled the room after everything had finished.

"Cards? I mean, if you have them," Tendou suggested, resting his head on top of his folded arms.

"Sure! Ushiwaka, are you going to join us?" (Y/n) responded, turning towards the olive-brown-haired boy.

"Yeah," was all he said in return.

With (Y/n) now going to get the cards from another room, Tendou and Ushijima conversed.

"So..." Tendou began. "What's been going on with you? I haven't been spending that much time with you so I just thought I'd ask."

"I've been able to focus more on the things I've been wanting to do, I guess," the taller male replied. "I do value our friendship but It's been nice having been able to take a break."

"Yeah, I totally get what you're saying. It's just that I've been constantly hanging out with (Y/n)-chan. It's not like I'm trying to ignore you or anything!" Tendou defended, trying to reassure his friend he was not attempting to replace him.

"I understand, don't worry," Ushijima spoke. There was really no need to have this conversation. If both of them were being frank, this benefited the both of them as it gave the two of them something they wanted without even telling each other. Ushijima wanted to spend more time on his academics and volleyball while Tendou just wanted to be able to express himself to someone who would understand him and give legitimate responses to the things he said.

With the room now falling into a tranquil silence, (Y/n) walked in, puzzled.

"Were you guys talking or something? I feel like I'm interrupting something," she spoke, wanting to give the two space if they needed it.

"No, you're actually perfectly on time," Tendou said, winking at the girl.

"Really? I'm glad," (Y/n) smiled.

As (Y/n) began shuffling the cards, Tendou and Ushijima waited, finding a more comfortable position to sit in so that they could relax for the rest of the night. When she finished and dispersed the cards equally, they began playing games from which all of them knew, to some others would recommend.

With the night now progressing, it seemed as though the only person who was winning was Ushijima. So far, he had been able to beat both Tendou and (Y/n) more than what the two of them had won combined. Tendou speculated it was that the taller male practiced by himself, while (Y/n) just giggled and replied with something along the lines of him just having good luck.

With this playful chatter continuing, their night only seemed to end when the moon shone brightly as the stars littering the surrounding space seemed to build a better image of the pitch-black sky.

With a playful sigh, (Y/n) tossed her cards on the table, leaning back.

"I think that's enough for today," Tendou stated between a sigh of his own.

"Yeah," the other third-years said.

As Tendou and Ushijima began picking up their stuff to leave, (Y/n) organized the cards and put them back in the box, returning them to her room.

With the boys now done and ready to leave, (Y/n) called out to them, smiling.

"It was really fun hanging out with you guys, I hope we can do it again," she waved.

"Yeah."

"Sure~ Have a nice rest of the night, (Y/n)-chan!" Tendou waved back.

"Thank you! Bye-bye, you two."