Chapter 6

Walking the damp path as cars came and passed, Tendou and (Y/n) walked towards the hospital in which her grandfather stayed. As he held an umbrella above her head, she smiled at him, thanking him for the shelter and direction he provided her. When he quickly brushed it off, she pouted, saying how she was grateful for what he was doing and that she would later repay him for his kind actions. 

Laughing at the girl's statement, he denied this and told her he would not let her do that, even if it was his time the girl was taking away. When the girl was about to talk back, he pointed and told her they had arrived. 

Stepping up to the hospital, (Y/n) and Tendou walked inside before asking one of the ladies at the front desks for the directions to the room (Y/n)'s grandfather rested. As Tendou continued to follow the girl, he completely forgot he was not supposed to stay as this was supposed to be a moment shared between granddaughter and grandfather. So when they reached the room and the redhead opened the door, her grandfather was surprised to see (Y/n) with a friend. 

"Hello, grandpa. It's nice seeing you," (Y/n) smiled, going up to hug her grandfather before sitting down in one of the seats. 

"Hello, (Y/n). It is nice to see you as well," he greeted her, patting her back ever-so-slightly. 

As Tendou fidgeted at the doorway, he contemplated whether he should stay or leave. Coming to a conclusion, he shifted his feet, ready to walk out when (Y/n)'s grandfather turned to look at him, cocking his head to the side before looking back at (Y/n). 

"Is he one of your friends?" he questioned. 

"Ah, yes he is. He helped guide me here-" 

"Then why is he standing at the door about to leave? Come here, young man, take a seat next to my granddaughter," he said eagerly, wanting to know what type of person the boy (Y/n) affiliated herself with was. 

Sauntering towards the man with his back hunched, Tendou took a seat next to (Y/n) gazing towards her before looking at the older man in front of him. 

"My name is Tendou Satori, sir, it's nice to meet you," the redhead stated, extending his hand for the man to shake. 

Reaching out with an enthusiastic smile, he shook the boy's hand. Releasing a jovial laugh as he held onto his smile. 

"I'm so glad my granddaughter has friends. When she lived in Canada and her father would call me, he would go on and on about how lonely his little (Y/n) was. She had never really had any friends until she got older and went to high school so to know she's making such fast friends makes me really happy," he smiled sweetly to himself. 

"I- Grandpa..." (Y/n) looked down, embarrassed. 

She truly did not know she had such a big impact on other people's lives. She believed her problems were solely her own so when she heard her father had worried about her, she did not know how to react. If knowing her loneliness was making other people sad, she would have tried to resolve that problem and try to make friends; even if it meant changing herself in a way that best suited the person which she desired to befriend. (Y/n) knew it was not good to change herself for other people but just thinking about it made her unhappy. 

As (Y/n)'s lips parted as a result of her wanting to talk but not having the proper words to, Tendou stepped in, rubbing her back in a comforting manner. 

"You don't have to worry about her being alone anymore! She has a whole group of people looking out for her now and even if we part ways in the future, one of us is bound to stay by her side! Rest assured that your granddaughter will be properly cared for!" 

Looking at the boy with a shocked expression, the older man smiled, looking down at his hands as he let several tears fall. 

"I know I should not be crying but words cannot express how happy I am right now. She is the only living family member I have left so your words are both reassuring and calming. I now know that when I pass she will have friends who will be there, even if the two of you have just met, I can sense that your words are genuine." 

Sitting up, (Y/n) hurriedly tried to stop the tears her grandfather shed before stammering something incoherent. Taking a deep breath, her panic soon settled, letting her speak without not being understood. 

"G-grandpa, please don't say such things. I know what you are saying is how you are currently feeling but you should not worry about me as much as you do. It would be more efficient for you to worry about your own health instead. Try getting better and don't give up until you are."

At this point in time, Tendou knew he was not supposed to be here, listening to the things he was. To him, it seemed as though (Y/n)'s grandfather was already getting ready to die and was trying to give thanks to the people in her life before he passed, and (Y/n) was trying her best to convince the older man that if he was to keep fighting, the illness in which he possessed would soon perish. 

Looking down at his hands, he tried his best to ignore what was going on around him because he knew that it was an invasion of privacy and if he did end up leaving, it would be considered rude as he was previously asked to stay. 

"Ha, ha, (Y/n), I have always adored that wishful thinking of yours but that will not help us right now. You know it is bound to happen, I mean, I am getting old after all-"

"Please," (Y/n) said, holding back tears as she reached for his hand. 

Sighing, he gripped her hand, reciprocating her action. 

"(Y/n), you know I cannot do that. Just take what I am saying to heart and promise me you will continue living the way you are; happy and full of life. Do not dwell on small things that will not shape your future for they are not important. (Y/n), please promise me this, it is all that I ask of you."

"... I promise."