Chapter 16

With school now coming to an end, the three third-years decided to head towards the gym for practice. As the three removed their indoor shoes, one by one they began opening their lockers to take their outdoor shoes. Opening his own locker, Tendou took out his shoes, however, when he did, a similar sheet of paper from before fell out. Snatching the paper as it floated through the slight breeze, he did not bother opening it. Instead, he stuffed it into his pocket, before sighing.

This was confusing to both (Y/n) and Ushijima. It was strange to both of them because they did not understand the reason behind the red-haired boy's actions. The origin of the paper was what the two of them wanted to know most but knew better than to push their friend for details. Without further thought, they made their way towards the gym and began practice.

With everyone working on drills, (Y/n) helped everyone out as much as she could. She brought those who needed water, towels or help with the thing in which they desired before going back to the bench where Washijo sat.

"Hello, (L/n)," the older male greeted.

"Hello, coach," she said, waving in return.

With furrowed brows, Washijo contemplated whether or not he should have told the younger girl what his mind had been currently fixated on. Recently the team's overall morale had been boosted and (Y/n) was the only one who could be responsible for it. The team had been more cooperative and were more willing to participate in group exercises and it began with the girl who sat next to Washijo. Even though Washijo felt as though his pride was going to shatter, he picked himself up and spoke to (Y/n) with his arms crossed and his gaze towards the boys.

"The boys have been improving. I believe it is thanks to you," he spoke up.

Looking towards the older male, she smiled at him.

"It's no problem. I am trying my best in order to make and influence the players to do the best that they are capable of. I would like Shiratorizawa's main priority to be going to nationals," her voice showed genuinity as if she truly did believe that.

"It's good to know you have your priorities sorted out," was all Washijo said before going back into deep thought.

When everyone stopped to go take a water break, (Y/n) handed everyone towels before telling them how wonderfully they performed in that day's practice. It was these little compliments that drove them to want to become better and improve their skills. If there were people who only told them how to get better and did not provide any emotional support, it was hard getting to know that the person who was asking for them was like that. Without emotional support, it would seem more as though there would be no payoff for their actions. Granted they would play better in games, be able to win more and see where their previous mistakes were. It just felt sad knowing that this was all they got considering how much they practiced. It was not so much that they wanted an overwhelming amount of praise for their actions, it was more that they wanted recognition for the hard work they put into it.

With their water now completely gone and their sweat now wiped, (Y/n) left the gym in search of a water dispenser.

As soon as she left, some of the boys pouted.

"(L/n)-chan is so nice, I wish she was our manager last year," Yunohama said with tinted cheeks.

"Yeah," the rest of the seconds-years and third-years said in response.

As the group started a light conversation about their semi-new manager, Shirabu pointed something out of pure curiosity.

"So, Tendou... You and (Y/n) have been spending a lot of time together, is there something going on between the two of you?" he inquired. It was not so much in a teasing manner but more in a way like he truly wanted to know.

"Oh, I guess you can say that," Tendou replied.

"But you guys have been really, really close. It's kind of like she's your girlfriend and Ushijima is like a third wheel."

"Oh yeah, that reminds me, you guys spend time at her apartment, right? How's that like?"

"Yeah, what do you guys do when you're out?"

All of these statements and questions began overwhelming the boy so the only thing he could do was stare at each player with a flustered expression. Each thing being said to him made him think back to all of the times the two of them spent together. As each memory played like a compilation throughout his mind, someone nudged his shoulder, causing the boy to snap back to reality.

"You like her, don't you," Semi said knowingly.

Blushing he scoffed, putting his hands on his waist.

"I mean yeah, who wouldn't? She's like every guy's dream girl, is she not? She's got manners and an irresistibly nice personality, it's hard not to like someone like that, you know?" he said in a defensive manner. It had been evident for some time now that Tendou had fallen for the (h/c)-haired girl as she was the one who he thought most about recently.

"You're not wrong there."

Opening the door with her arms filled with water bottles, she looked towards the team questioningly.

"You're not wrong where?" she asked, looking at them for answers.

"Ha, ha, nowhere, (L/n)-san," one of the third-years replied.

Shrugging, she placed the water bottles down, and neatly began folding spare towels. With (Y/n) now rushing around to complete short arends, Tendou watched her, keeping a close eye on everything she did. Even when she was in a rush she still looked to be as graceful as she usually was in Tendou's eyes. She could look like anything and to him, she would still be perfect. Just the way she was always in desperate need to please others and make them feel worthy of anything was what Tendou liked about her the most.

"She really is the best, isn't she?"