Chapter 2

Glancing towards the additional student in class, numerous thoughts swarmed the head of the red-haired boy. Hearing the clock in his classroom tick, he carelessly drummed his bandaged fingers against his desk to match the rhythm of the clock as he stared at the girl with a bored expression.

He did not believe this girl was going to be any different from the ones he previously met. He thought that the only thing this girl would do was join in with the popular group and talk about him behind his backs. Whispering about how odd he was or how ugly they thought him to be.

Even though these words were strictly exchanged within their friend group, it did not take a genius to figure out the vulgar things they spouted when they thought no one was listening. After all, had they not been looking directly at him or pointing in his direction, things would not be so easy to ascertain.

Rolling his eyes, Tendou huffed before looking back at the board and copying the new information the teacher wrote, making sure he did not pay close attention to the girl seated across the classroom.

As the day carried on, time passed by rather quickly, allowing the bell to signal for lunch. When everyone began piling out of the classroom, Tendou eyed how (Y/n) clutched onto her bag and waited for everyone to leave before leaving herself. This action confused Tendou. It had been the norm for him to see both girls and boys shove past each other to get to the cafeteria. He could only question if these were rules established in Canadian classrooms.

"Ready?" his friend urged, placing a hand on the redhead's shoulder.

"Yeah," Tendou sighed, walking towards the door, watching as the (h/c)-haired girl left the classroom.

When the two friends arrived at the cafeteria, they quickly ordered their food before sitting down at the table in which the rest of their volleyball team sat. When the two third-years sat down, Ushijima posed a question: "Where's Goshiki?"

After earning a few shrugs and "I don't know"s, few members of the team raised their heads to look for him. However, when Shirabu raised his eyebrow rather questioningly, everyone in the team followed his gaze.

"Is he talking to a girl?"

"She looks like she's trying to calm herself down, what's he doing to her?"

After a few seconds of Goshiki patting (Y/n) on the back, she finally mustered up the courage to walk up to the volleyball team and announce the proposition Goshiki and Semi made earlier that morning.

"H-hello, everyone. I'm (L/n) (Y/n). I was asked by 2 of your teammates to join your team as your manager. But before that, I would like to state a few things ere all of you come to a conclusion. Firstly, at my previous high school, I was a member of the girls' volleyball team and my position was the libero. Secondly, I do believe my level of analysis is high, therefore if you accept me, I will be able to view other teams and help you defeat them for any future games. Thirdly, before anything is established, I would like to observe each of you play... if that's okay with you guys, of course," (Y/n) said, bowing to the team, attempting to make a good first impression.

As (Y/n) lifted her head as no one answered, she quickly retracted into herself, not knowing how to respond to the silence in which she created her announcement. Awkwardly standing in place, she fiddled with the hem of her skirt. When she opened her mouth to mutter an apology for wasting their time, Ushijima stood up, grabbing onto (Y/n)'s hand and firmly shaking it.

"My name is Ushijima Wakatoshi. I would not mind having a manager," he stated rather stoically.

Although his message was not delivered with much emotion, the way in which he said it and his grip on (Y/n)'s hand made it known to her that he did indeed not mind having a female manager.

With the confirmation of the team's captain, the rest of the boys followed suit, first smiling and telling the new girl their name before telling her it would be fine for her to watch one of their practice games and make up her mind from there. As each person introduced themselves, Tendou brushed his original thoughts about her aside. Her first impression was sweet, holding no malice in it whatsoever. Even if it was not the longest period of time for which she spoke, he understood this (Y/n) girl would not treat him like most others do.

"I'm Tendou Satori! It's been a pleasure meetin' ya~!" the redhead stated dramatically, finger-gunning her.

"The pleasure is all mine, Tendou-kun," (Y/n) replied, finger-gunning back, playing along with this little shtick of his.

Smiling even brighter, Tendou got up and pushed (Y/n) by the shoulders, motioning for her to sit at the table with the rest of the team. Tendou was exhilarated by the fact (Y/n) was not like the other people in which he met. Even though he thought about this before, his whole mood brightened with the little copycat motion she did. It amazed him that one person would actually play along with the little jokes he did for he was so used to people just ignoring him or giving him weird stares.

The moment (Y/n) sat down was when chatter sparked. Everyone at the table had begun talking about the benefits that came with having a manager and how having a female one might boost the group's morale at games. After (Y/n) heard this, she blushed before denying the statement and telling the team that if any of them needed their morale boosted, they could just listen to the school's cheering and if that wasn't enough, she would go out of her way to buy a megaphone where she would then run to the back of the crowd and cheer as loudly as she could.

As everyone at the table laughed and made jokes, the conversation later steered away from volleyball and became friendly chatter.

When time progressed and lunch came to an end, (Y/n) waved, "I'll see you, boys, at the gym later today! Bye-bye!"

"See you!"