Chapter 18

With Ushijima and Tendou walking home with the moon casting down upon them, the street lights illuminating the path, as the both of them strolled towards their destinations in silence. It was nice having been able to spend time with each other even with the inclusion of the (h/c)-haired girl as it gave the two a sense of where their previous friendship had been. It had not been like the two were growing apart, but more as the two just needed a break.

As they strolled side-by-side, they eagerly awaited the time the two of them would be able to relax and sleep for the remainder of the night. With time progressing, Tendou was uncomfortable with the silence they shared as it was uncharacteristic for it to be this quiet, even if Ushijima seldomly spoke. Squinting, Tendou wondered if something had been on the boy's mind as ever since he started speaking and spending the majority of his free time with (Y/n), Ushijima had grown denser whenever he hung out with the two of them as a trio.

Patting the olive-green-haired boy's shoulder, Tendou got Ushijima to redirect his gaze in his direction. With his attention now on the redhead, Tendou spoke up with a worried tone.

"Is everything alright for you? You seem stiffer lately," he said.

With a sigh, Ushijima nodded.

"I guess you're right," the taller male agreed.

Unsatisfied with his answer, Tendou halter both of their movements, stepping in front of his best friend.

"Why though? I want to be able to understand and try to make things better for you, this isn't helping," Tendou stated. His voice was clear, wanting Ushijima to understand that what he was saying was not a mere question but more of a command.

With a sigh, he closed his eyes before reopening them, looking directly towards the sky. Though this was not a normal statement people would regularly hear him say, nevertheless, he proceeded.

"I'm afraid I'm interfering with your relationship with (Y/n)," was all he said.

"What do you mean by that?" Tendou inquired.

"Just today when we were playing cards, I felt as though I was interrupting something important. To me, it seemed as though the two of you would have had much more fun if I was not around. I am aware that you bear romantic feelings for her so I'm just worried that if the two of you do end up together, you would stop spending time with me and instead with her," Ushijima explained sincerely. It was out of his character for him to say such things but it was true.

Ushijima had been afraid of losing the one person who could bear with him and remain his friend for so long. To be frank, he did have the entire volleyball team who respected him and would be there for him like Tendou but it would not be the same. Tendou was one of a kind; he would be constantly making jokes and filling in conversation as a result of Ushijima being more on the stoic side. Where people would normally be afraid to break the silence and speak to him, Tendou would just force himself into his personal bubble and make him talk, or compel the boy to listen to idle chat.

With someone like that constantly being around him, he did not know how he would end up feeling. He believed that his world would become black and white as time passed, because like many others, without people involving themselves with those around them, things would become bland and distasteful.

"Hey! I would never do that! I can't believe you'd even think something like that! Wakatoshi, even if I do like (Y/n)-chan like that only for her to like me back, I could never forget or leave our friendship behind! Knowing (Y/n)-chan, she wouldn't let me do that either. Come on, you know how she is, if we did become a couple, she would probably invite you to all sorts of little activities. Believe me when I say you won't feel like a third-wheel either, (Y/n)-chan and I'll find a way to include all of us in whatever we're doing," Tendou stated, proud that he was able to find the correct words to elaborate to his friend that he would not leave him behind, and also embarrassed at the fact that he had just imagined (Y/n) and himself as a couple. The latter being less influential towards his current emotions.

Now shifting his gaze only slighting down to see his friend who was just a little shorter than him, Ushijima smiled.

"Thank you for thinking about that," he spoke honestly.

"No problem, Wakatoshi! Anything for a friend~" Tendou laughed.

With the air cleared and the atmosphere now more comfortable than it was before, the two walked in peaceful quietude.

Smiling confidently at the way in which Tendou was able to resolve the conflict between the both of them, his exterior painted him to be relaxed while his interior was more nervous than anything.

Having just remembered the slip of paper he had eagerly shoved into his pocket hours ago, Tendou dared not look at its content, too afraid to see what it held. However, with his anxiety itching at him, he contemplated opening it and reading the horrid message that was sure to have made its way onto the note.

Putting his hands in his pockets, he felt around, having felt a sense of relief and horror when he made contact with it. It was not so much that he felt the need to open it as to wonder what was inside of it, but more as he already knew what was to come and just wanted to face it head-on. He would much rather have something said to his face in lieu of having it spoken behind his back.

Now with Ushijima and Tendou reaching their destinations, they split up and headed their own separate way, departing with a farewell.

Entering his own living quarters, Tendou placed his belongings down onto the floor and took the note out. Not content with what was to come, he slowly opened the folded paper, making a sarcastic remark as he proceeded.

"This is going to be fun..."