01

"WELCOME HOME," the woman said, looking at us through the rearview mirror. "How does it feel?"

It felt like a nightmare had turned into reality. I glanced at my older brother. He was slouched in his seat, hood over his head, looking outside. There wasn't much to see though as it was pitch black. I could tell he disliked it as much as I did – maybe even more.

"Great," I replied in a sarcastic tone

"Why did we have to come here?" Alex grumbled. "Couldn't we have gone somewhere else?"

She glared at him through the mirror. Once again, my brother made her irritated. I knew she was doing the best she could. I kicked my brother in the shin and he scowled at me.

"My job requires me to be here," Olivia reminded. "They moved me to this district. I'm sorry, but we're staying here for a while whether you like it or not."

It was around eight at night and we still had quite a long drive ahead of us. We had come from Washington but moved to Beacon Hills, California because Olivia was sent to work at the station here. She was a police officer, and apparently, she was a real good one. Somehow, even as she was solving cases and catching criminals, she had the time to take care of us.

"Nothing really exciting happens here," I told her. "The most interesting thing that happened is the Hale house fire."

"Hale house fire?" she inquired.

"House burned down... there were no survivors," I explained. "Well, except for Derek Hale."

"Hey! Watch out!" Alex suddenly shouted.

My heart began to pound and my hands got sweaty. Panic was what I felt. Olivia swerved right, driving off the road. Some large shadow figure had almost rammed into us. The weird thing was that it resembled an animal, but there was no animal as big and fast as that.

Olivia got out of the car, taking out one of her guns. Curious myself, I stepped out of the car, ignoring Alex's protests. Using my phone as a flashlight, I ventured into the woods where I saw the great animal flee.

There was something angry out there. It was a vengeful presence. I reached into my back pocket for my weapon of defense, looking around the area. I could only see miles of tall trees and a large stump of one. Then, I heard a rustle and twigs snapped. Suddenly, something grabbed my shoulder. I grabbed the wrist, twisted it, and they yelled in pain.

"It's me! It's me!" they said desperately, and I let go.

"Sorry, sorry," I said, watching as he shook his hand.

"Olivia's going back to the car," Alex said, pulling me back to the road. "Shit... She's already there."

We walked faster, getting out of the woods. Olivia was in the car, her back turned to us. Hearing our footsteps, she turned around, aiming her gun at us. We put our hands up in surrender and after recognizing us, she put her gun away.

"What the hell are you doing?!" she scolded. "I told you to stay in the car."

"Lucy's fault," Alex said defensively. "All her fault. I only went out to look for her."

"Way to throw me under the bus, brother," I muttered, getting back in the car.

We got back on the road. Olivia played a mellow playlist, creating a calm moon in the car. As peaceful as it was, I kept feeling something was off, but I tried brushing it off. It was late and I was probably exaggerating what I saw.

"Tomorrow, we can haul all this stuff inside," said the driver of the moving truck. "You can get the essentials first though."

"Thank you so much," Olivia smiled.