08

OLIVIA APPROVED. I could barely believe it.

"She is home by nine-thirty, got it, young man?" Olivia told him, stern. "If not, remember, I'm a cop holding a gun, and trust me, it's locked and loaded."

"Liv, I'm not going to be attacked by an animal," I assured her.

"Maybe not one with four legs," she remarked, glancing at Lucas.

"If I try anything, I'm sure Alex will give me a beating and his punches are very strong," he said with a nervous chuckle. "Nine thirty, she'll be back."

"What— "

"No questions, Liv, please," I said, stepping into the car. "We're gonna be with Scott, Allison, Lydia, and Jackson. That's three strong guys in total and three smart girls. I'll see you at home."

I closed the door and Lucas stepped in, starting the car. After we got out of the neighborhood, Lucas started to speak. I could tell he was nervous.

"Olivia seems... "

"Overprotective," I finished. "She means well, but needs to be reminded that I'm at the age of a rebellious teen."

Lucas simply nodded.

"Hey, Lucas," I said, looking at him with a smile. "What are you nervous about? Bowling or... you know, me?"

He chuckled nervously saying, "Both?"

"No worries," I said. "I promise you, we're gonna show Jackson that he should never be so arrogant."

We arrived at the bowling alley. We got our shoes and saw Scott and Allison picking a ball, Lydia and Jackson sitting in our aisle. Not wanting to hold up the game, we quickly put on our shoes and chose a ball.

"So, how are we doing this?" I asked. "Teaming or individual?"

"How about individual?" Allison suggested. "Then we can add up our points together, that way we can see our own scores."

"Sure," I agreed, and everyone did too.

I wrote our names in the order everyone agreed on and our game of bowl was ready to take off. Now, I hadn't bowled since I was eleven. That last time I bowled was at a birthday party and my ball kept going in the gutter, and if I was blessed, I would hit a few – sometimes I'd get all the pins, but that was rare.

Lydia went first, Jackson guiding her. However, the first time, it went into the gutter. On the second attempt, they got three. I went next. I rolled my shoulders back and stretched my fingers, warming up.

"Do you— "

"If you try to act like Jackson and think it works on me, think again," I told him.

I picked up the ball and aimed in the middle. I tossed it and it headed straight. I was getting hopeful... but then it veered off right, hitting three. I sighed, going back to retrieve the ball. I saw Jackson smirk and it made me furious.

This time, I was more determined. I tossed it again and it rolled towards the pins. It hit the pin next to the middle, and in a miracle, it knocked the rest down.

"Keep giving that arrogant smirk and I might just win the whole game," I said to Jackson, sitting down beside Lucas.

Allison went next. She had near-perfect form. Of course, I didn't know perfect form, but it worked since she got a strike, knocking all the pins down.

Jackson stood up quickly. He seemed to be irritated and a bit threatened. We weren't as bad as he thought. He, too, got a strike and his pride was showing a bit too much.