39

Ms. McCall let us inside the room, doing the best she could to try to explain that we wanted to help figure out what happened. She looked out the window and nodded to us, signaling it was clear.

"We weren't doing anything bad," Caitlin answered Stiles's previous question. "I mean, I've camped out there plenty of times."

"Right, but why tonight?" Stiles asked.

"We wanted to be alone for one night," she answered. "Emily lives with her mom and I have three roommates. Not exactly a romantic setting, you know?"

"How long have you been together?" I asked.

"Three months," she replied.

"And you wanted to make it romantic... " Stiles said.

"Yeah, you know, because, um... "

"It was her first time," Stiles finished.

I held her hand saying, "It'll be okay."

I closed my eyes. They were both in a tent, laughing. They kissed, but then there were bugs outside the tent. Emily had run out screaming and Caitlin ventured outside to follow her. She had also seen Scott who told her to get out of the woods.

"They're gonna find her right?" Caitlin asked.

"Yeah," I nodded with a small smile.

:::

"Get some sleep," Alex told me for I had come home very late. Luckily, Olivia was working overnight trying to find Emily.

"They're gonna find her," I told him. "Emily. When they do, she's gonna be dead. Stiles believes it's human sacrifices. The three bodies - the one at the pool, Heather, and Emily - they were all virgins."

"Stay home today," Alex told me. "Rest, sleep."

"I can't," I told him. "I've got a sport I signed up for."

"What's that?" he asked.

"Cross country," I replied. "I haven't been active in four months. I need to get my speed and agility back up. Something is going to happen. I need to be prepared."

At school, the cross country started up. Over the summer, without having any bad werewolves to battle or kanimas to fight, or people with guns to go to war with, my dear Thorn was not in use. What also wasn't in use were my combat skills. I had to get back in shape because I was very sure something bad was going to happen - it was already happening.

One of my acquaintances from school was also doing cross country with me. Her name was Vicky and she was in my art class.

"Wanna race?" she asked. "Ten dollars. I'll finish before you."

"Okay," I nodded. "Ten dollars and I'll beat you and have to wait at least five minutes after."

The whistle blew. I ran forward but tripped. I looked up at Vicky and she smirked. "We didn't say we couldn't play dirty!"

I scoffed, getting up. I ran after her up the hill. Eventually, I passed her and lightly shoved her off the pathway. I checked back, making sure I didn't injure her by doing so, but she was all right.

But then I felt something from my right. It was an odd feeling; one I couldn't shake. I sighed, going off the path. I touched one of the trees. There was a sense of urgency, depression, and anger. Something terrible had happened.

"Help!" Vicky screamed. "Somebody!"

I was on the ground against a tree. I had difficulty breathing and I didn't know where I was until people had surrounded the area.