04

PARTIES. They weren't really my thing. I didn't want to be alone at the buffet table with barely anyone to talk to, but Alex dragged me with him.

"I am going to kill you for bringing me along," I said the closer we got to Lydia's house.

"You won't be able to touch me because I can shock you with a thousand volts," he remarked.

I scoffed, shaking my head. Suddenly, Alex swerved over the yellow line, and bright lights blinded our view.

"Shit! Alex!" I yelled, grabbing the wheel.

The large truck blew his horn just as we passed him, only an inch from each other.

I sighed with relief and said, "I can't believe Olivia let you drive. Who invited you anyway?"

"Jackson," he replied. "After Coach said I was on the team, he invited me."

"What does Camryn think of it?" I asked. "I mean, you'll be at a party with tons of girls probably all begging to have your number."

"Hey!" he responded defensively. "I am loyal, all right?"

We arrived at the house. Her house was a mansion. I always knew her family was rich, but I never knew how rich. From outside, I could hear the music and the voices of many people. It was a full house.

"You know parties make my senses a hundred times worse," I said before he knocked.

"Then don't feel," he said as if I could just flip the switch off.

Alex knocked. A few seconds later, the door opened.

"You came after all," Lydia said excitedly, welcoming us inside.

As we traveled in through the house, I could feel so many emotions of excitement, happiness, and love. It was a party after all.

Lydia didn't stay for long and Alex was pulled away by one of his new friends from the lacrosse team. I was left alone. I sighed, thinking to myself that I could either strike up a conversation with a random person or I could either be a loner in the corner... I chose the latter.

I walked through the crowds, looking down at my feet. I managed to get outside which had fewer people. I furrowed my eyebrows, looking around. Someone was panicking.

Someone pushed past me, brushing my shoulder. I turned to look at him as he was running into the house. I was going to go after him, but my vision blurred.

The boy was walking in the woods, maybe looking for something. Then, there was a dead body that was cut in half. There was a howl and then something moved. Fear and panic – it was all over him. Then, he was attacked by a large animal.

"Scott!"

My vision turned back to the crowded home, people dancing, and talking. I turned around to see Allison who seemed to be disappointed, confused, and worried.

"That was Scott?" I asked. "Scott McCall? What happened?"

"I – I don't know," she replied. "We were dancing and then he just – I don't know. He ran off."

Allison headed toward the front to find him and I followed her. We were outside when we saw Scott in his car, leaving.

"Well, that was my ride home," Allison said sadly.

"Wanna get out of here?" I asked, and she nodded.

"Let me just get the keys from Alex," I told her, about to head back inside.