16

"Stiles... what you're asking me to do is bizarre- "

"I know."

"It's risky- "

"I know."

"Dangerous- "

"I know."

"I can get trapped- "

"I know, but you gotta do it," Stiles said back through the phone. "Every person Peter Hale killed has something to do with arson. The bus driver, the man at the video store."

"And what?" I asked. "You think I can find his next target?"

"Yeah," he nodded.

"People have died in there, Stiles," I said. "What you're asking me to do is - is... "

"Almost suicide," he finished. "Look, don't worry. I'll pull you back out."

"It's not that simple," I told him. "Okay? I could be in a coma... forever, the same thing repeating over and over again like a bad nightmare."

"Okay, fine," he sighed.

Even though I declined, I kept thinking about it. I was just a bit curious. It all connected. Argents being hunters and the Hale house fire. Peter Hale wanted revenge. I thought knowing could lead me to the answers about why it was my family who had to be killed as well. What was it that Hale spared me if he knew about us?

That night, when everyone was asleep, I snuck out of the house. I found the fairy circle and started from there. I closed my eyes, focused.

"There's games there, food, drinks!" Dad exclaimed. "This may be the most memorable gathering."

"Why does this happen?" I had asked.

"Unity, Lucy, unity," he repeated. "We gather together so we don't forget each other, so we know we aren't alone."

"There are some kids your age," Mom told us. "Go play with them."

"Woah!" I exclaimed. A flame of fire burned in the young boy's hands.

"What's your power?" he asked. "What are you?"

"I'm a mind reader," I replied.

He smirked. "A mind reader? You just read people's minds and stuff?"

"Back off," Alex warned, electricity buzzing through his fingertips.

"Stop," I said, looking around.

"What?" the boy asked. "Feeling fear? That's probably yourself."

"Get down!" I yelled.

Alex and I had done so, but the boy, not so much. He was on the ground with a net over him. Alex and I grabbed it to pull it off, but the burning sensation we felt stopped us. We saw as the boy was thrashing around in the net - he was burning.

"Go!" yelled my dad. "Run!"

There was an explosion and we were blasted back. Then, there was gunfire and screams. I had fallen to the ground, covering my ears, but that wasn't where it hurt. It was like I was feeling every bullet, every burn, and everyone's fear.