11

"So it really was a mountain lion," Danny spoke as we walked together, along with Lucas.

"I guess so," I replied.

I knew it wasn't a mountain lion. It was anything but a mountain lion. The closest animal to it was a cheetah for its speed, a lion for its strength, and an elephant for its height. Thinking about it again, not even that was close.

"So it's all over," Lucas smiled, swinging his arm around my shoulder.

"Yup!" Danny smiled happily. "That means more practice."

"You say it like it's a good thing," Lucas groaned.

:::

"That what of who?" asked Lydia. We had found Allison sitting down in the cafeteria, her nose in a large book.

"The Beast of Gevaudan," she repeated. "Listen. 'A quadruped wolf-like monster, prowling the Auvergne and South Dordogne Areas of France during the year 1764 to 1767. La Bete killed over a hundred people, becoming so infamous that the King Louie the 15th, sent one of his best hunters to try and kill it.'"

"Boring," Lydia commented. I, on the other hand, was interested.

"'Even the church eventually declared the monster a messenger of Satan,'" she continued.

"Hmm... still boring," Lydia said.

"'Cryptozoologists believe it may have been a subspecies of hoofed predator, possibly a mesonychid.'"

"Slipping into a comma bored," Lydia spoke.

"'While others believed it was a powerful sorcerer who could shape-shift into a man-eating monster,'" she finished, suspenseful.

"Any of this have anything to do with your family?" Lydia asked.

"This," she replied, looking into the book. "'It is believed that La Bete was finally trapped and killed by a renowned hunter who claimed his wife and four children were first to fall prey to the creature.'" She looked up smiling saying, "His name was Argent."

"Your ancestors killed a big wolf," Lydia said, unfazed. "So what?"

"Not just a big wolf," Allison said and turned the book around. "Look at this picture. What does it look like to you?"

I couldn't mistake those red eyes. It was very similar to the beast I saw at the video store. I glanced at Lydia, sensing her fear.

"Lydia?" I asked. "Lydia."

"It looks... like a big... wolf," she replied. "See you in history." She got up and left.

"Well I for one am interested," I told Allison. "Tell me more."

"That's as much as I could find... so far," she said, flipping through the last pages. "Kate got me this for my birthday." She showed me her necklace which was a circle pendant with what looked like a wolf on it. "She said I had to look it up to see what it meant - Scott!"

She glanced at me. "Go on," I sighed, looking back at my plate.

:::

"Let's settle down," Coach said, slamming a book on the stack, beginning class. "Let's start with a quick summary of last night's reading. Greenberg, put your hand down. Everybody knows you did the reading... How about, uh, McCall."

"What?"

"The reading," he said.

"Last night's reading?" he questioned, panicked on the inside.