27

No words could explain the hatred I had towards Harris. Okay, even Coach Finstock was better, and he's the loudest teacher in this school who will expose you and call you out. For example, when he called out Scott for not doing the reading and when he'd discourage and make fun of the players in lacrosse. All of that and he was better than Harris.

Harris was that teacher. Strict, but also calm in the most annoying way. The arrogant expression he had on his face, looking down at us who were below him at the academic level. But if Lydia and Harris went head to head, I'd bet Lydia would beat him.

I helped Stiles move one of the carts into an aisle. As we started re-shelving, Scott came back and Stiles began to explain everything Erica had told him earlier.

"It means he was born after his mom died by C-section," Stiles continued. "They had to pull him out of a dead body."

"So was it an accident or not?" Allison asked.

"The word all over the report is 'inconclusive,'" Stiles answered with a sigh.

"So his parents could have been murdered," I concluded.

"Well, if they were, then it falls in line with the kanima myth," he said. "You know? It seeks out and kills murderers."

"But for Jackson or for whoever's controlling him?" Allison pondered.

"We have to talk to him," Scott said, starting to walk out of the aisle. "We have to tell him."

"Scott- " I started, walking after him. "He's not gonna list- "

I sighed and turned back to Allison and Stiles saying, "There has to be a better plan. We have to stop thinking about how to get Jackson back to normal - well, to a regular were-jaguar - and start thinking about how to find whoever's controlling him."

I heard glass shatter and books falling to the ground. I ran out of the aisles and looked up. A dark figure was jumping onto the tops of the shelves. I heard Erica scream and was about to head towards her, but the figure turned to me.

Jackson, half of his face snake-like, came at me. Before it could get to me or before I could defend myself, I was pushed onto the floor and rolled back towards the aisles.

"Your welcome," said Issac.

I pushed him off of me and sat up, looking back at Jackson. It looked like he was possessed. The way his head was titled, how he stared at nothing, how his arm moved as he wrote on the chalkboard. Then, it stopped and jumped out of the window.

The board read: STAY OUT OF MY WAY OR I'LL KILL ALL OF YOU.

"Hey, hey, hey!" I heard Stiles call. "I think she's having a seizure."

"Let me see her," I said, kneeling beside her. "How's Matt?"

"He's alive," Allison called back.

"We need to get her to a hospital," Stiles told us urgently.

"Derek - only to Derek," Erica told us many times, insisting on it.

"Okay... " I put a hand over her head and then she stopped moving, breathing heavily.

"The venom's still in her... I can't get that out," I told them.