Prologue

"Amber!" I heard Mom say from downstairs. She should really stop shouting or her vocal chords would burst. Too exaggerated, but hey. That could happen if she keeps on shouting.

"Yeah, Mom?" I shouted back.

This has already been our routine every morning. She would shout, and I would shout back. It's a tiring routine, but at least we get to communicate.

"Chase is here!"

I stopped whatever I was doing and immediately got out of bed. With a big smile on my face, I walked down the stairs and saw the boy I love talking with my mother.

I still can't believe this beautiful boy is my boyfriend.

He turned his head to me and a grin passed his face. "Hey Amber!" He greeted, making my insides instantly flutter with delight.

He stood up and made his way towards me, engulfing me with his enticing hug. I hugged him back with the same force. And while doing so, I caught my mother's eye, giving me a wink right after. I smiled.

I'm so lucky my Mom is always there to support me and to make me feel loved. She's always been there for me since day one, and I thank her for that. Well yeah, she's busy most of the time, but that didn't stop her from trying to spend time with my brothers and I. She takes every chance that she can get so that she can make up with the time she lost with us.

Dad too, but not always. He's just really very busy and he's already very stressed about something that I can't seem to pinpoint. He's always on the phone, screaming, yelling, all the things he never usually does. It's unusual to say the least, and Mom won't tell us anything. I know she knows what's going on, she just doesn't want to tell us.

I wonder why.

I pulled away from the hug and gave Chase a big grin. "What are you doing here? I thought you were supposed to be at some interview?" I asked and he grinned.

"Yeah, but it's still a few hours from now, so I thought, 'Hey, why don't I go visit my girlfriend instead? I miss her anyway.' So yeah, here I am." I laughed and he gave me chuckle while ruffling my hair. My laugh was cut short and I swatted his hands away.

"Not the hair." I said with a glare and he laughed. He still ruffled my hair, and I just sighed, making him continue what he's doing, but with me already fuming inside.

I've already told him a couple of times not to mess with my hair, because that's the one I really treasure the most about myself. Well aside from eyes, of course.

I heard someone clearing their throat behind me, and I saw Mom giving us a smile. "I'll leave the two of you alone. Take good care of my daughter, alright Chase?"

Chase smiled and nodded his head. "Will do, Mrs. Lee!"

Mom laughed and made her way to the dining room, where Dad probably is because I can already hear some screaming and yelling in there.

"Is that your Dad?" Chase asked with his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Yes, that is him. He's been doing that quite a lot these past few weeks, really." I answered as I made my way to sit at the couch. He followed me and sat beside me.

"Do you know the reason why?" He asked and I shook my head. Why would I? They won't even tell us what's wrong.

"No. They're just like keeping it a secret from us." I replied with a frown on my face.

He made me look at him and he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. "Stop frowning. It doesn't suit you."

I didn't stop frowning though, and he gave me a small laugh. "Do you want me to make that frown upside down?"