Chapter 19: The Spotlight

Two days ago was probably the best thing I have done so far. I know I've said this a million times, but I really can't believe there would come a time where we have to sneak in at our own company. I just really didn't think it would be possible.

It's Saturday now, and it's already time for the party Alyssa was talking about last Monday. At the moment, I'm kind of dreading going to any party, considering how these things just doesn't seem to end very well by the end of the night; something bad always happens, which, is not pleasant at all. Not even a little bit. And right now, aside from the mere fact that I have a gut feeling something bad will happen, the other reason as to why I'm dreading going to this party is because Alyssa will be there.

Yes, I know, it seems kind of cowardly of me. I just feel really awkward when she's around and it doesn't help that Zyljan always seems to find amusement in seeing me suffer. How he practically became like Aiden in a span of a few months, I have no idea.

Take yesterday for example. Right after school, Mom and Dad announced that we will be having a family dinner at one of the Sullivans' chain restaurant here in Detroit. I think I kind of forgot to mention that Paige and Dylan's family business are restaurants. They're doing incredibly well too, considering how they already have a lot of branches around the globe e.g Canada, Spain, France, Italy — should I go on?

Anyhow, Aunt Barbara and Uncle Thomas — Paige and Dylan's parents — just arrived from Spain from handling one of their branches there, and they invited us, together with Austin and his parents to a family dinner at their branch here in Detroit. Everything was absolutely fine; we had a lot of fun. Until the one thing I dreaded to happen, happened.

Zyljan kept glancing at his phone, a constant devious grin and scowl appearing on his face. It didn't take a genius to figure out that the person he's texting is obviously none other than his fiancee, Alyssa Bleu.

I ignored Zyljan's behavior, already used to it considering how his phone is like his new best friend now. I know he's already attached to his phone even before Alyssa, but this a whole new level of attachment; he basically can't live without his phone beside him anymore.

Paige and Dylan's parents apparently noticed this because Uncle Thomas, Dad's older brother, said, "So Zyljan, I heard you already have a fiancee? Your Mom told me as soon as the Bleus approved of the agreement. I think my ears just bled at that very moment."

Mom gave her brother-in-law a glare as Zyljan and Aunt Barbara chuckled in their places. "Well I wouldn't have did that if you just gave Barbara the phone. But obviously, seeing as you're selfish about sharing her attention to others, I was completely expecting that reaction of yours." Mom shot back, making a smirk to appear on Uncle Thomas's lips and a light laugh to escape Dad.

Sometimes, it's kind of hard to believe that Mom and Uncle Thomas instantly got along just fine during their first meeting. Dad's brother seems to be kind of. . . petulant at times. I'm amazed Aunt Barbara managed to put him in his place. Although, I completely believe the fact that Uncle Max, Aunt Carrie's husband and Austin's dad, got along just fine with Uncle Thomas. They are both the epitome of petulance during their youth anyway.

No wonder Dylan and Austin are just like them.

"You're still as difficult as ever Eliza." Uncle Thomas commented. "Although, I'm pretty sure Amber here didn't take on that trait of yours." He looked at me with a smile.

Aiden snorted in his place. "Oh please, uncle, if your definition of difficult is not putting up with her disarming antics and not going through the trouble of keeping everyone around her sane, then no. She kind of did not take on Mom's trait."