Chapter 21: Stay With Me

"Amber, about yesterday," Chase started, a thoughtful look crossing his face as we sat on the blanket he had set up for us on top of the hill not too far from my house. "I really do mean to apologize for the questions that made you thoroughly uncomfortable."

"It's fine. Don't get too worried about that." I replied with a ghost of smile playing on my lips.

He sighed, worry tangible in his mesmerizing green eyes. "I know how much of a touchy subject it is to you to talk about Alyssa and I, and I don't want you to feel like you can't ask me anything about it."

I just gave him a smile and a slight chuckle. "Seriously Chase, don't worry about it. It's fine."

He just sighed and gave me a smile of his own right after. "Well, okay." He said. "But is there anything you want to know or—"

I laughed and scooted closer to him. "Just shut up weirdo and stop worrying about that. It's alright. I get that she'll always be apart of your life one way or the other but at least I have the reassurance that she's marrying my brother and that you're mine, right?"

I finally got some sense knocked into my head when Aiden and I had that talk last night. It's pretty great getting all of those out instead of just bottling it up like what I always do. Aiden always had this kind of knack on knocking some sense into me whenever I'm acting foolish or anything relatively similar to that. Although, sometimes, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what to say or do when I go and break down in front of him.

Chase sent me a coy smirk. "I've always wondered how great Aiden can knock some sense into you but considering how you're already like this after you went away with him for probably half the night last night, I'd say he does it pretty well."

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, because Aiden knocking some sense into me is that great."

He let out a laugh as he put his arms around me, pulling me closer to him. "Well I definitely won't say he's not great at it seeing as you're not your inquisitive and snarky self right now."

"No wonder you're Aiden's best friend." I mumbled. "You two are much alike."

"So I've been told." He replied, his voice lacing with mirth. "So, what do you want to do now?"

I looked at my watch. Hmm, fifteen minutes past two. Do I have any other plans? I scrunched my eyebrows in concentration, feeling Chase's eyes on me. Oh yeah, I have to meet Mom and Dad for some meeting about Zyljan's wedding. Seriously, I have no idea why they bother to plan Zyljan's wedding this early, considering how it will take place three years from now. "Actually, I have to meet Mo—"

Chase's hug and annoyed groan interrupted whatever I was about to say. "No, just stay here. I've barely been able to get you alone these days, much less just be with you." He looked at me with a pout, making a smile to appear on my face. "Stay with me."

"As much as appealing that idea sounds, I really do need to meet Mom and Dad today so if you'll just—"

He tightened his hug on me. Oh, Chase. "No, I'm sure James and Eliza would understand. Just stay here with me, Amber. I want your undivided attention today."

I laughed. When did Chase get this clingy? Last time I checked, he doesn't want to be clingy because it's annoying and irritating. His words, not mine. Although, he did say that clingy is nice once in awhile, but too much clingy is hell.

"Teddy bear, please? I really miss you." He said, his pout deepening the longer he looks at me. How can I say no to that face?

I sighed. "Fine. I'll just go and call Mom that I'll attend the meeting some other time."