Chapter 43: The Dinner

"What do you mean we're having dinner with the Calbies?" The words sounded bitter on my mouth. I have no idea why though, but having dinner with Sapphire and her mom seems to make the alarm bells in my mind go off. "When?"

"Tomorrow night. Rose have invited us over to their home." Mom said coolly as she sliced a piece of her steak. As soon as she is done and she is about to put the steak in her mouth, she added, "I expect the both of you to be in your best behavior."

Aiden and I looked at each other before he said, "But what about Zyljan? Isn't he joining us over at the Calbies?"

"No, he will not." Dad was the one who said this, speaking for the first time since the start of our dinner. He took a sip of his wine before he looked at Aiden and I with an unfathomable glint in his eyes. "He is busy with his studies and we will not disturb him by letting him join a silly dinner like how tomorrow night will turn out."

"Zyljan deserves a break from it. I know you and Mom knows it as well as I do." I said firmly, narrowing my eyes slightly at my parents who are eating calmly and stiffly in front of Aiden and I. From under the table, I could feel Aiden's free hand squeeze my thigh slightly, letting me know that I should calm down my flaring temper. I heaved in a big breath before saying in a much more collected voice, "He is apart of this family and whatever goes in in this house is his every right to know."

Mom narrowed her eyes at me as she stopped slicing a piece of her steak. "Your father and I did not say that he does not have the right to know what goes in in here. We merely said that we should not disturb him since he is busy with his studies."

"So a simple dinner with the Calbies and you decide that Zyljan is 'too busy with his studies' but attending Mr. Prew's birthday party and demanding him to attend and decide that he's not busy?" I challenged and slightly rose an eyebrow at their direction.

"Amber, stop it." Aiden mumbled beside me as he continued slicing his steak.

Ignoring my brother's words, I focused my attention back to my parents who said in a strict voice, "Mr. Prew is a business associate. It would be rude of us if we didn't attend as a family."

"But Mrs. Calbie is also a business associate. What makes her any different from Mr. Prew?" I asked.

"Amber, drop it." Dad said sternly.

Mom put her hand on Dad's arm and that was enough to make him stop and sigh exasperatedly in his place. "Rose is a special case." Mom replied, her hand still on Dad's arm.

By this time, Aiden is probably tired of staying quiet because when I was about to say a reply, he said, "How so?"

Mom let out a breath. "Rose is not any of your concern. I suggest the both of you concentrate on your studies and just follow the things we say. Be home early tomorrow because the dinner will be at seven. I expect the both of you to be here by four so you will have ample time to get ready." With those words said, she dabbed her lips with the napkin and walked out of the dining room. Her footsteps resonated around the now silent room, Dad, Aiden and I just looking at each other with different glints in our eyes.

I know it was wrong of me to attack Mom and Dad like that, but I just became really irritated by the fact that they won't even try and invite Zyljan over to the dinner. I know he's busy and all, but I also know for a fact that he would drop everything he's doing just to be able to spend time with us, his family. Sometimes, I even tease him that he should probably just move back in here at home with our parents, Aiden and I but he would just laugh it off and say that as much as he enjoys being around us, he enjoys his own space much better.

And speaking of moving out, I'm starting to think that Mom is excited by the fact that Aiden and I are moving out right after graduation because she's already starting to look for places we could stay. Of course, I have no problem with that because I already bought a house of my own — without Mom's knowledge, that is. Remember that house I bought as a cover up for my identity? Yeah, that.