Chapter 13: Breakfasts and Laughters

By the time we finally got inside the house after a whole lot of jibes and arguments, it was already eleven minutes past four. I'm sure I'll look like a freaking zombie when I go to school later today. I sighed inwardly. This is probably the stupidest thing Aiden and I have ever pulled in our entire lives and now, we're obviously going to deal with serious consequences.

We walked in the kitchen, trying our very best to be absolutely quiet. The lights are still off, considering how Chef Ronald wakes up at five in the morning to prepare our breakfast and it's still four. I accidentally hit the sauce pan lying on top of the stove as we passed by it and gasped as it started to topple, making Aiden and Zyljan look at it in alarm. It started to fall down and sighed in relief when I caught in my arms, Aiden and Zyljan visibly relaxing afterwards.

"God Amber, you're as maladroit as ever." Aiden whispered.

See? Even after we almost got caught, he's still throwing jibes at my face.

"Shut up, Aiden. You don't even know how to whisper." Zyljan said in a voice lower than Aiden's, irritation clearly palpable by his tone of voice.

I looked at Aiden smugly, who just rolled his eyes at me. Ha! Take that, you stupid brother. I like it very much when Zyljan takes my side.

Yes, I do. I like it very much.

We started walking out of the kitchen again, Aiden walking behind me. I rolled my eyes as he took noisy steps, obviously trying to subtly show his irritation for me. Immature idiot. We were almost out, when suddenly, glasses started too shatter on the ground, making Zyljan and I look at the mess with wide eyes. Our eyes then start to travel up to Aiden, who is looking very much shocked about the situation as much as we are.

"What the fuck, Aiden?" Zyljan hissed, Aiden still blinking his eyes, digesting what just happened.

You and me both, buddy!

Aiden probably snapped out of the trance he was in because he is now looking at Zyljan and I with a sheepish smile. "I'm sorry! My hand kind of got in the way when I was trying to get past the sauce pan, making the glasses fall on the floor."

"Who's the maladroit now, huh?" I replied, making both my brothers to glare at me.

"Amber, seriously. Now is not the time to kill each other with jibes." Zyljan said through gritted teeth.

I bit down the reply that was about to come out of my mouth and just glared at Aiden as he continued glaring at me. Then suddenly, the lights turned on, making the three of us freeze on our places.

"What do we have here?"

Well, shit.

Zyljan and I turned around and came face to face with Chef Ronald, who is looking at us with groggy eyes and a blank stare. We inaudibly sighed in relief, seeing as it isn't Mom and/or Dad after all. Thank God our parents are heavy sleepers most of the time.

"Hi Chef." I laughed nervously, fleetingly glancing in my brothers' direction who are looking at me with something I can't decipher.

Chef Ronald rubbed his sleepy eyes as he stifled a yawn. "What happened in here? I heard something shatter in here."

That was my heart you just heard shattering, Chef.

Kidding, why would my heart even shatter for no absolute reason?

"Well, my hand got in the way." Aiden replied, the sheepish smile on his face returning once more.

Chef Ronald sighed as he walked towards us and shooed us to the side. He got the broom and dustpan sitting on the cleaning cupboard and swept the floor full of  broken glass as he mumbled incoherent things under his breath. Aiden, Zyljan and I shared a look as Chef Ronald threw the broken glass in the trash bin. We are such bad human beings.