Chapter 48: Merry Christmas

"I was wondering," Paige started as we strolled through the Sullivans' garden, the one place in their house that Aunt Barbara spends most of her time in. Not even Uncle Thomas can pry her away from her well-tended and well-maintained garden — and that's saying a lot considering how he always succeeds in prying her out of something. "What do you think would be a perfect gift for Dylan?"

Her question made me come to an abrupt halt, my mind reeling back to her words. She turned to me, a grimace plastered on her face which is enough to let me know that she knows the exact reason why I stopped dead in my tracks. I gaped at her. "You still haven't got anything for Dylan?"

"Uh, no." She replied slowly. I continued gaping at her until she let out an exasperated sign. "I had no idea what to get him! I know that I know him like the back of my hand and that I could probably get him anything that I know he would like, but for God's sake, I end up being blank!"

"But it's Christmas eve. . ." I trailed off when I saw her conflicted eyes, a look I often used to see on my own face when I was still deciding and having trouble what to get my brothers and my parents for Christmas.

"Exactly why I'm panicking because I don't have enough experience doing a last minute shopping. I'm not even sure if stores are still open at this time of day!" The panic clearly palpable in her eyes made me feel her anxiousness as well, made me feel all warm inside as I knew the panic she is currently feeling — the same feeling I felt when I was shopping last minute for Zyljan's birthday present. "Help me, please!"

Despite the anxious feeling I got from her, I found myself chuckling at her statement. I put my arm around her as I guided her back towards the house, panic still dancing in her eyes, as I said, "This is exactly one of the reasons why I'm your favorite cousin."

She peered at me with raised eyebrow. "Actually, Zyljan is my favorite cousin, but yeah sure. That works too."

I scowled at her as she laughed at my reaction. "How could Zyljan be your favorite? Do you see him helping you pick out last minute presents for your brother?" I didn't miss a beat in saying my next words out loud. "No you don't. That's me, standing here right next to you, helping you figure out what would be the perfect gift for Dylan." She opened her mouth to say something, but I was on a roll. "Unless of course, you still prefer Zyljan's company and would like to be his and Alyssa's third wheel for the day."

"I was just kidding, you wench." She mumbled, rolling her eyes as she removed my arm from her and pulled me towards the house. "Of course you're my favorite cousin. Girls stick together, don't they?"

"You're saying that now but wait until there's a hot guy and they would gladly kill each other just for the attention of the guy."

Honestly, why do some girls do that? I mean yeah, I understand that it's hard meeting and seeing a guy like in your life, but would you really risk being in competition with other girls just for a guy? My lips pursed in thought, still being dragged away by Paige. Yeah, I think I would.

"Well good thing we're not ending up like that then." She looked at me with a smirk on her face. "There is no way I'm ever going to like Chase romantically. Besides," She said with a shrug as she turned her head back to the front. "I would probably just end up killing him if ever we do end up together. That guy irritates me to no end." I chuckled, knowing exactly how true her words are.

Paige and Chase, well, let's just say that they tolerate each other. Yeah, they enjoy each other's company and share a good laugh now and then but in the end, Dylan, Aiden, Austin, and I still find them wanting to rip each other's head off when we leave them alone. There was even this one time that we really had to pry Paige away from Chase and drag her out of the house to calm her down and to prevent him from scalping her alive.