Chapter 8: Silver

"Okay first things's first: find a way to get outside and inside the house without being noticed by either Mom or Dad." Aiden said as both of us stood facing the front door of our humble abode.

As you can all see, we are still on house arrest and we would both be dead if Mom and Dad knew we sneaked out. Today is Hannah's birthday and it would be horrible of me if I wouldn't go there and celebrate with our friends. Aiden and I already asked our parents nicely if we could go to Hannah's house, but they told us no. I know I said that we are obedient children, but sometimes, you just have to sacrifice things for a friend.

We already told the others we would be coming; they asked of course if our parents know. You already know the answer to that.

So now, both Aiden and I's phones are buzzing like crazy because of the messages and calls they are all sending us. I sighed. This plan is starting to get hopeless.

"So Mom is in a charity event, right?" I nodded my head. "Good. Those things last for a lifetime so Mom won't be home until the streak of dawn."

"The only problem now is Dad. . ." I said and Aiden sighed.

Honestly, Dad has been very attentive to us after he got that second white envelope two days back. It's getting harder and harder to do things that we usually do because of how Dad is keeping a very close eye on us.

"We can't go through the front door, obviously. The door will creak and Dad would come and check up on us no doubt." He said as we looked around the house, looking for any way to get out.

I'm starting to lose any hope that we would be able to get out of here.

"The back door would be great too but Chef Ronald is there and he would surely reprimand us about this plan of ours." I said.

"He'll tell Dad too." Aiden added.

I sigh. "Okay, so where to?"

We became silent after that and looked around the house again. There has got to be a way out of here.

Suddenly, Aiden looked at me, hope gleaming in his eyes. "I have an idea. I hope this works."

Despite the fact that every plan my brother makes always seems to end up being a complete mess and the both of us looking stupid, I know that there is no other way we an get out of here. And so, without thinking about it and without hearing his plan first, I said, "Let's do it."

After a moment of talking and Aiden telling me his plan, we stood there in the kitchen, smiling at Chef Ronald as he prepared some food for us. He looked up when he noticed our presence and gave us a smile in return. "Miss Amber, Mister Aiden." He greeted.

"Hey chef." I said with a grin. Aiden grabbed an apple and took a bite as he sat on one of the swiveling chairs. I looked over at him and he gave me a wink. I smirked a bit and turned to look back at Chef Ronald who is chopping some carrots.

"Chef, I'm a little curious." Chef Ronald looked up at me. "How do you make the food taste so great?"

He chuckled as Aiden continued eating his apple beside me. "It's just the mixture and the spices that are important, Miss."

"Really? Then how do you make a creme brulee with the right mixture?" I asked, fleeting a glance at Aiden's direction. He winked at me and threw his half-eaten apple in the bin. Then, he slowly walked over beside Chef Ronald. He put an arm around him.

"Yeah, and what's the correct procedure of making it?" Aiden asked with a smile. His hand slowly started slipping of his shoulder without Chef's notice. He looked at Chef fleetingly as Chef continued speaking, answering both of our questions. A moment later, Aiden gave me a grin and a slight thumbs up.