Chapter 22: The Family Room

By the time Chase and I arrived at my house at a little past nine, the whole group were already huddled on the family room, which I can tell is not good at all, considering how all news is announced in that room; whether good or bad.

I still didn't know that little fact of course, until Mom told me when Chase and I stepped foot inside the house. She gave me a smile as she pointed out that my friends are in the family room together with my brothers and cousins.

I looked at her incredulously. "What are they doing there?"

"Honestly honey, I have no idea. Your brothers dragged them up there when your friends arrived a few hours ago." She replied, making Chase and I share a look.

"Thanks, Mom." I said.

And so, as we arrived at the family room — the very room we are standing on right now — the group regarded Chase and I impassively, to which I rose an eyebrow to. "Hey." I greeted cautiously, Chase following behind me.

"Thank God the both of you finally arrived. We were trying to call the both of you hours ago but you wouldn't answer your phones." Paige stated as Chase and I sat on the couch opposite of where she sat.

"Sorry, we absolutely didn't notice all of you were trying to get ahold of us." I turned to look at my brothers who still remained unmoving during the whole exchange. "Is there anything you found? Considering how we're all here in the family room and the three of us knows what happens when we're in this room."

Aiden and Zyljan both shared a look before looking at me and then turning to look at the group. "In this very room is where Aiden, Amber and I found out that my accident was not something you would really call an accident, considering how it was planned." Zyljan said, making me close my eyes briefly because of the memories that started coming to my mind.

"The accident wasn't an accident. It was planned."

I shook my head of that and continued staring at Zyljan impassively. Breathe Amber, breathe. Aiden shot me a look of concern but I just waved him off with a smile.

Zyljan then turned to me. "And we didn't find anything, Amber. We just decided to stay here." He said. I let out an inaudible sigh of relief. At least we don't have to worry about that for now.

Despite the group already knowing that little fact for a few days now, I'm pretty sure they still can't quite grasp the fact that someone was really trying to kill my brother; I can see it in their faces.

"How did you guys take it?" Stacy asked, making all of our eyes turn to her. "I mean, the news isn't pretty, so how did you take it?"

"I took it pretty fine. I was a little shook for a couple days, but I can't say the same for Aiden and Amber though." Zyljan replied with a ghost of a smile playing on his lips. "They go rigid and distant whenever that certain topic is brought up."

Well, what he said is true though.

"No wonder they grew all tense when we talked about that last Thursday." Blake said thoughtfully.

"I take it Amber and Aiden told you about what we heard last Thursday?" Ian asked, making Zyljan nod his head.

"I've always wondered who would try to kill me and what I did for them to hate me that much." Zyljan said, his face darkening for awhile.

And at that very moment, Alyssa burst in through those doors with a sheepish smile on her face. "Sorry, I was a bit caught up on the way here."

Zyljan chuckled slightly in his place before standing up and saying, "Come on, fiancée. Sit here."