Chapter 29: The Greetings

"Happy birthday, you impossible and reckless twins!" Zyljan exclaimed happily while throwing both his arms in the air.

I laughed, Aiden doing the same as Mom and Dad looked at the three of us with mirth. A week have already passed and before I knew it, it's already Aiden and I's birthday. If I'm being honest, I really am kind of excited for our birthday especially since Mom agreed to Aiden and I's wishes of keeping the party simple.

"Thanks Zyl." I said with a smile, sitting down beside him as we wait for Chef Ronald to serve our breakfast. He came in the dining room a few minutes after, carrying a tray of pancakes, bacon, and French toast.

"Thank you, Chef." Mom told him, offering him a gentle smile. Chef Ronald nodded his head and went back to the kitchen, making Mom face us again as we started to get some food. "So, about the party tonight." She started. "I've already invited all your friends and they said that they'll be here at exactly seven in the evening."

"You know, Mom, it's never too late to cancel the party. We could just go somewhere and enjoy our birthday there." Aiden said, shoving a pancake in his mouth right after.

I drizzled some maple syrup to my pancake and cut a portion, putting it in my mouth right after. I think I just died and went to heaven. This stuff is lovely. "Aiden's right, Mom. We appreciate the effort and everything, but we really would just like to go somewhere with both you and Dad and our friends." I said after swallowing the pancake I just chewed in my mouth.

"Oh nonsense!" Mom exclaimed, cutting a portion of her pancake in the process. "The both of you will only be eighteen for once in your life. I want to make it memorable."

"Eliza," Dad started. "every birthday is memorable. It just depends on how they celebrate it."

"Exactly. Which is why, I want this celebration to be simple yet memorable." Mom said, a happy glint appearing in her eye.

I sighed, sharing a look with Aiden right after. I don't want to dampen Mom's mood, especially since she's so happy and she really put effort into making this party amazing.

"Okay fine. We'll take the party." Aiden said, making Mom clasp her hands happily and give us a grin.

"That's great, darling." She said. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to make some calls about your party. I'll be back." She stood up, grabbing her phone from the table right after.

By the time Mom was out of earshot, Dad looked at us with a gentle smile. "You're good children, the three of you." He commented. "I appreciate you trying to make your Mom happy and letting her take care of your party despite your wishes of not having one."

Aiden smiled. "Dad, we love Mom to death. We wouldn't want to make her upset when she's obviously just trying to give us everything she can." He told him.

Aiden's right about that after all. All of us here in the house obviously sees that Mom is just trying to make us happy in her own way, despite her ways being extremely, well, extreme — for Dad, Aiden, Zyljan and I anyway.

"Yeah, and what's a small party that can make Mom happy, right? We could always just go anywhere in any time of the day." I added, earning another gentle smile from Dad.

"It's just for tonight. I'm sure you can all endure that, can't you?" Dad queried, making a chuckle to escape Zyljan's lips.

"Sure they can. Come on Dad, they've endured it for seventeen years. What made you think they can't endure it now?" Zyljan told Dad, a chuckle escaping him, taking a sip of his drink right after.

Aiden and I grinned as Aiden said, "We're pretty sure this party is going to be less than what Mom usually prepares since we did tell her to take it down a notch."