Runaway

"Bloody hell!"

A customer from a local bar screamed as a tray of drinks spilled on him. The sound of glasses cracking onto the concrete floor was unheard of as loud music of Rihanna blared throughout the room.

It was stupid. It was his fault for spilling the drinks.

"You motherfucker!" someone screamed in delight, and people around cheered, clinking glasses with everyone they knew.

Many people were going in and out of the bar. It was only natural since it was a Saturday night. The people of Europe have always been outspoken-outgoing to almost every little thing. After all, they are famous for almost-if not, all-alcoholic beverages.

Bodies were grinding and dancing to the beat of the music on the dance floor. Hell, some people were making out in the darkest corners of the club. At the same time, some others were having fun, drinking, and laughing with their friends.

Ralph sighed as he turned his attention to his unattended drink.

It wasn't a new sight to his eyes.

It was the same view from every place he traveled to-though not literally the same.

He finished his drink with a groan, feeling the burning sensation of the alcohol inside his mouth. He almost choked at the aftertaste it left on his tongue, but he frowned in distaste and said to the bartender, "one more please."

Beep!

He shifted his eyes to his phone, lying on the marbled desk in front of him. A familiar name was on the screen, and there was a message.

He picked it up and squinted. He rolled his eyes after reading the message.

Where the fuck are you, dude? The message said. It was from a co-worker.

He felt and understood the urgency of the message, but he couldn't just reply and say that he was in Europe for whatever reason he had in mind. It was a sudden decision to travel, but the reason was not so sudden.

Maybe not informing everyone back home of his whereabouts was wrong.

It was hard for him to admit, as well.

That it was all because of one man.

"Jesus fucking Christ," he muttered to himself, feeling a sudden wave of nostalgia and heaviness in his chest. "Why won't you leave my mind, Kyle?"

A glass of whiskey suddenly slid near his hand, and he looked up gratefully at the bartender, uttering small thanks before taking a sip of the alcohol.

He sighed as his face wrinkled in disgust. He has always had a love-hate relationship with alcohol. Sometimes, it helped him to let loose and forget-and that felt great. However, most of the time, it was just to be wasted.

Beep!

There was another message on his phone from whomever it was.

He just rolled his eyes and set his phone upside down. He went away for a reason.

And, that was not to be disturbed.

He took another sip of his drink and looked around the area. He was thinking.

Of what to do next.

Alternatively, where to go next.

It had only been two years since he left America, and the feeling of leisure traveling excited him. It felt liberating to be in charge of yourself. He longed for this, and he deserved this.

But a single, important question lingered on his mind.

Until when?

His train of thought was snapped when a series of yells boomed throughout the bar, and he chuckled deeply as people went on their merry way to do whatever they wanted. It was slightly different from what he was used to.

In America, all they did in clubs were dancing, grinding, and drinking. The only thing loud in America was the music and not the people. There weren't people that cheered for whatever reason, and perhaps this was a good change for him.

For the longest time, he was never sure of where he was supposed to be headed. He was misguided, that was one way to put it. How he gets there was the easiest part of the journey, and reasons were the hardest pieces to find in self-discoveries.

And for some reason, he hoped that whatever bad or good outcomes gets in the way, it wasn't going to be him as a reason. Because he didn't know if he might regret or be proud of it; the last time something happened, he was happy, although there were bad consequences.

Consequences that led him to where he was right now.