The Only Exception

Planning a wedding sounded a lot easier in Ralph's mind.

It certainly was a lot better planning in the back of his mind, because this was giving him migraines. But thankfully, he had a partner to plan this through, to enjoy migraines with, and to bring out their bests in each other.

The past few weeks have been nothing but a pain in the ass.

Work, eat, and sleep.

It was the same old routine for their everyday lives, and the only thing that has been added was the planning of their wedding—which hasn't been the easiest to do, even with the two of them.

Although, this was a different scenario compared to his everyday life. He was planning his whole future ahead of him, alongside his partner; his partner whom he was going to spend the rest of his life with, and he couldn't be happier that this man was Kyle.

Maybe it was the past connection that led this through because Ralph couldn't see himself being with anyone else besides Kyle. Or, was it because Kyle was the only man he ever had a connection with, and he didn't pursue another person after what had happened?

Maybe.

No, not maybe.

It was the right thing, after all.

"Hey, so what kind of flowers do you want?"

Kyle's question snapped Ralph out of his trance. He blinked twice to see his fiancée's hazel eyes staring at him in curiosity, waiting for him to answer as his fingers hovered over the laptop.

"Either orchids or something lavender,"

After answering the question, he stared at Kyle for what seemed like hours. He had a silly black headband with pointy ears that almost seemed like a replica of Ariana Grande's in the Dangerous Woman music video. His handsome face was undeniably focused on the laptop in front of him—his lips pursed, his eyebrows furrowed, and his eyes squinted in concentration.

His stare shifted, and he found himself looking at what Kyle was wearing. He had a very fitted orange pastel graphic t-shirt that hugged his muscles nicely, and boy, it was a sight. He was a lucky man to be able to feel those arms every night.

"Babe?" Kyle suddenly said with that oh-so-deep laugh that was intoxicating. "Why are you staring at me?"

"Huh, I didn't know it was a bad thing to stare at my husband," Ralph retorted with a smirk and shifted his gaze to meet his partner's knowing stare.

Kyle nodded as he hummed softly and said, "I didn't say it was a bad thing, hubby."

"Hubby? Really? You're going with that?"

"What do you mean? It has a nice ring to it, especially since it's you,"

"It doesn't sound like you, though,"

"You don't like it?"

Ralph frowned and thought of a reason to give. "It's not that I don't like it," he started to say, his lips pursed. "It's too cliché if I'm being honest."

"And if you're not being honest?" Kyle drawled out with a smirk of his own, his eyebrows rising.

Ralph sighed with a soft laugh, knowing there was no way escaping this banter one way or another. "It makes me feel like one of those sickly, loving married couple," he said, shrugging with his eyes rolling in defeat.

"You know I could use some of those thoughts in your head in terms of planning our wedding," Kyle said with a pout, leaning forward to place his forehead against Ralph's.

Ralph smiled at the small act and kissed his lips chastely. "I'm sorry. Can't we take a break, though? We've been planning all day," he whined as he lowered his head on Kyle's shoulder.

"Babe, this was your plan. You're the one who wanted a wedding faster than my brother's,"

True enough, it was his idea to have a quick wedding with family and close friends. But he didn't know it was going to cost so much of their time that Kyle has practically given his attention to his phone and laptop. He was attention-deprived, and he wasn't getting any because of this wedding planning.

It wasn't just sex.

Okay, most of the time, it was sex.

But the planning has been an addition to their stress alongside with their jobs and their mentality strength could only take so much. If he had known how much time this was going to take, then he probably wouldn't have suggested it.

"Please, let's just cuddle for a short while?" he pleaded, his voice muffled by the fabric of Kyle's clothes as he shoved his head against his fiancée's chest.

Kyle smirked, placed both his hands on either side of Ralph's head to hold him still, and said, "just for a short while?"

"Yes,"

"Really?"

"Yes,"

"Okay," he said with a laugh as he stood up with his arm outstretched for Ralph to take. "Come on, before I change my mind."

Ralph grinned as if he had won the lottery and took Kyle's outstretched arm with such enthusiasm that his partner thought he wasn't getting his arm back when he was being pulled away to the bedroom.

Once they were inside the bedroom, they didn't waste a minute in getting on the bed. But it was when Kyle was removing his shirt that Ralph voiced out the question in his mind.

"Why are you taking off your shirt?"

Kyle had to take a moment before he answered unsurely with a chuckle, "because cuddles are best when naked?"

"I'm not complaining. Just wondering,"

"I know, baby. I know,"

"You know I love you,"

"And I, you,"

"Please, just shut up and love me,"

"God, you are the only stress I'm willing to take for life,"

Ralph only laughed in reply as he too took off his own shirt and got in bed with his fiancée, immediately wrapping his arms around him. He would always love the warmth Kyle gave him; it was loving, longing, and homey.

It was the perfect match for him, and nothing was going to change that.

Not for a damn long time.