King of my Heart

"Good girls," Ralph said to his dogs, giving them the belly rubs that they needed. The dogs barked happily in response to their owner's antics, jumping and clawing at his legs. He missed them so much, and he regretted not remembering them all this time. He was a bad fur parent.

He was in the middle of playing with his dogs in his living room when several aggressive knocks were coming on the door. He turned to frown at his door, and the knocks didn't stop.

If it was Kyle, he knew he would've just opened the door and let himself in. But he went to his parents' house to tell them the news of their engagement. So, the question in his mind still lingered, who was knocking on his door?

"Ralph, open up!" a high-pitched shrill voice came on the other side of the door.

He groaned and rolled his eyes, but he still walked towards the door to open it and let his sister come in.

"What do you want?" he asked with annoyance in his tone as he stared at his sister.

His sister just smirked at him. "Come on, is that the proper way to greet me?"

"What are you doing here, Riley?"

"Can't I just come and visit you because I miss my little brother?"

Ralph just stared at his sister with a tired frown, not believing a word that was coming from her. He arched an eyebrow, and Riley rolled her eyes.

"Okay, fine. But seriously? Getting back together with that asshole was probably the worst decision you ever made,"

A moment of awkward silence fell upon them after those words were uttered. Ralph nodded a little later to acknowledge his sister's remarks, bit his lower lip harshly, and walked forward to meet Riley outside in the hallway of his apartment.

"So, you came here just to hate on my fiancé,"

"It's not like that, Raffy,"

"Then explain to me what it is because I heard you, loud and clear!"

His voice boomed in the hallway, and it was sure to reach his neighbors. He was angry. He felt as if his head was going to explode the way his sister spoke ill of Kyle. He was telling himself to calm down in his mind, but when it came to Kyle, nothing was ever calm.

Riley flinched at the loudness and scowled at his brother's reaction. She expected the opposite of what she was seeing; the reason being how Kyle treated him in the past. How could her brother not see what she sees?

"How could you even say yes to that bastard? He lied to you. He made you look worthless! He made it seem like it was your fault, and that's not fair to you."

Ralph remained stoic and let his sister say what she had to say. If he was ever surprised by her words, he didn't show it; he just remained scowling.

If there was one thing he disliked about his sister, it was that she just had to make his problems her own. It was as if she thought he couldn't handle it, and frankly, it made him look weak. He never liked that feeling.

"Are you done?" he asked after a moment of silence passed.

Riley nodded slowly, staring at her brother in wary; scared that he might yell again because that hasn't happened in years.

"Good. You know your way out," he said slowly in a dismissive tone, turned around to open his apartment, and headed back inside without waiting for his sister's reply.

He closed the door and went back to playing with his dogs, who welcomed him back with licks to his face and claws to his legs. He ignored his sister's muffled voice from behind the door, telling him that he might be rushing into things until he knew for sure she was gone.

Was he?

Were they?

After a few hours of doing nothing but play with his almost-forgotten dogs, watch TV shows, and eat, morning turned into afternoon. The sun was about to set, and his mood hasn't changed. He was still feeling salty about what happened with his sister earlier.

He was lying down on his back on the couch, one arm under his head and his other arm rubbing his dog that was lying down on his chest. The two other dogs were sprawled over the living room, down on the carpet with their tongues out, exhausted from playing all day.

The door to his apartment opened, and he looked up and smiled to see his fiancée already smiling back at him. It was his first genuine smile after his sister's visit today.

"Hi," Kyle greeted them and closed the door quickly before he walked over to Ralph to give him a chaste kiss. "How are my babies?"

Ralph hummed in delight as he kissed back before pulling away to reply. "Just exhausted," he said as he lay back down on the couch. "How was your day?"

"It was great!" his fiancée said with so much happiness that he was having second thoughts about telling him that his sister visited to spoil his mood. "Kim and Angie were ecstatic about it that they wanted to do a double wedding with us."

"I don't think I'm up for that kind of thing," he replied with a frown and a short laugh as Kyle lifted his head to make room for himself on the couch and let it down on his lap.

"Yeah, I know. That's what I said," Kyle said with a laugh of his own, his hand immediately going towards Ralph's hair to push it. "We can take our time to plan our wedding."

"Doesn't have to be traditional,"

"Yes, exactly. O-or it doesn't have to be this year,"

"Uh, maybe it does have to be this year,"

Kyle squinted his eyes in question at what Ralph said as he stopped his hand from rubbing his hair. He hummed softly as a trail of questions formed in his head as he asked, "are you sure?"

"I don't understand why we have to wait. I love you, and you love me, right?" Ralph said, shrugging as he stared into his fiancée's eyes longingly. "What?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm okay. Why?"

"What do you mean 'why'?"

Ralph frowned. "That's what I'm asking you, dude," he said.

It was Kyle's turn to frown and pulled on Ralph's hair roughly. "Don't call me 'dude'. I'm your fiancée," he jested with a pout as Ralph's frown deepened, yelping in surprise at the tug of his hair.

"Is that not what you want?" Ralph asked softly, pulling Kyle's hand away from his hair to bring it to his lips. "Do you want to wait longer?"

Kyle's face softened when he heard the question leave Ralph's lips. He smiled at him and said, "It's not that, babe. I don't mind waiting. I mean, I've waited for so long for us to happen when you left."

"But weddings are different. This needs to be planned out thoroughly."

Ralph nodded slowly in understanding and bit his lip, deep in thought. "Okay, let's plan it, then."