Red Hearts and Blue Dreams (James x Thomas)

It was a peaceful morning on the island of Sodor. The morning sun was warm as it lit up the sky and peeked in through the trees as they danced in the soft wind. Thomas was taking his usual coaches, Annie and Clarabel, down his line that morning after just waking up. He seemed rather tired than usual and it didn't take long for Annie and Clarabel to notice this.

At first they didn't bother with it as he seemed to be doing rather fine until he fell asleep waiting for his passengers to dispatch and board at the first station. "Thomas wake up!" Annie hollered as Thomas jolted awake. "Wha! What- what is it?..." He yawned.

"You fell asleep! You can't just sleep on the job Thomas and you know that!" Clarabel scolded him. "I know.. I know" he yawned once more. "Thomas promise us you will try and get some sleep.... This is the first time in years you've been sleepless...." Annie spoke softly as they left the station.

Thomas merely struggled to keep his eye's open while they was heading to the next station. James was waiting there once they puffed in. He had just finished pulling a load of crates filled with potato sacks and tools for the farmers market when he noticed Thomas pull in.

"Well hello there Thomas~" James said in his usual tone of voice. Thomas rolled his eye's, he didn't really feel like dealing with James that morning. He was more focused on getting his jobs done in time so he could sleep the rest of the day away.

James didn't hardly notice this until he realized that Thomas had made no cheeky comment. "Uhm? I ssid hello?..." James repeated himself. "Hello... James..." Thomas nearly mummbled.

"Well whats clogged your funnel today?" James asked as the station master blew his whistle. "He's tired James now leave him alone!" Annie said. "He barely got any sleep last night!" Clarabel added as they left Dryaw station.

James was confused at first, Thomas wasn't the type to stay up all night unless some thing was bothering him or worse. James was now curious as to what was going on.

Thomas continued on his branch line for the remainder of the morning before continuing onto his other jobs. During that time James took it upon himself to go visit Annie and Clarabel to see if they could help. Once he arrived to the shunting yards he was suprised to see how quiet it was.

He puffed up next to the shed they was resting in before blowing his whistle to wake them. "We was awake you know!?" Annie yelped. "Oh is just James..." She said rolling her eye's. "What do you want James?" Clarabel finished.

"I wanted to ask, what was wrong with Thomas earlier?..." The coaches fell silent unsure if Thomas would like for them to tell James the true reason. "Like we said he's tired he didn't get enough rest" Annie spoke up. James narrowed his eye's at them, "are you both sure?' He asked hoping they'd spill.

And they did just exactly that "Thomas has been having some sleeping issues he didn't want to tell you because he was afriad you'd pile more work onto him just for it!" Annie snapped. "Are you happy now James?" Clarabel added. James didn't know what to say. He thought that all this time Thomas would turn to him for comfort but he should've knew better.

All this time he thought he was helping Thomas but he was wrong. He was the worst friend Thomas could've possibly asked for. The coaches noticed his silence. "James?...." Annie said "Are you okay?" Annie softly asked. James soberly sighed. "I'm okay.... I'll be fine..... Who am i kidding im not....." He softly said not able to hold back any more tears.