CHAPTER SEVEN, the awkward practice & the almost kiss

Tabitha stood beside Ashlyn in the hallway, showing her some of her new set designs for the play when she heard the voices of Nini and EJ

Tabitha stood beside Ashlyn in the hallway, showing her some of her new set designs for the play when she heard the voices of Nini and EJ. She looked up, raising her eyebrows when she noticed it looks like they were fighting as they walked down the steps to where Ashlyn, Tabitha, and the rest of the theater kids were waiting outside of the bomb shelter. 

She tried her best not to overhear their conversation because it looked like a heated one, but they were kind of talking loud and she couldn't help her curious self. Her eyes grew wide when it sounded like Nini basically broke up with EJ.

She watches Nini turn to face the theater kids, pointing at the closed door. "Hey, um, is the door locked or something? Why can't we get in?"

"Oh. Natalie Bagley's missing her emotional support hamster." Ashlyn answered. 

"Yeah, Carlos and Gina are helping her find it." Tabitha added, regretting looking at EJ. He looked so sad about what just happened with him and Nini and Tabitha honestly felt bad for him. She quickly looked away from him, turning her attention to her sketchbook she held. 

Everyone looks at the door when they hear a scream. Ashlyn points at the door. "I think they found it."

Nini and EJ continued talking while everyone went back to what they were doing before they heard the scream. A few moments later, Natalie walks out of the room, carrying a shoebox. "I need a moment." She then walks towards the stairs while Carlos walks out. 

"So, uh, is the hamster dead?" Tabitha asked, looking at Carlos curiosity while tilting her head to the side.

"No." Carlos replies, shaking his head. "Now she thinks he's in her gym locker."

"Why the screaming?" Ashlyn questioned. 

"That was me." Carlos responds. "She stepped on my toe." He turns to everyone. "We're ready to begin, people."

Once everyone was in the bomb shelter and Miss Jenn arrived, they started the blocking rehearsal. EJ had to fill in as Troy since Ricky was late.

"Can you two move in a little closer?" Miss Jenn asked the two, noticing they were standing at opposite ends of the room. Tabitha looks up from her sketchbook, raising her eyebrows when she saw how far apart EJ and Nini are. The two moves closer to each other with Nini being the reluctant one. 

Miss Jenn sighs. "Come on, guys. We're blocking this as a love story, not a SARS epidemic." 

"I think that chair was over there." Carlos said, pointing to a chair on the right side of the room and then pointed to the left. 

"Oh, uh, I can move it over in the scene." Nini suggested, moving over to pick up the chair. 

Miss Jenn shrugs. "Feels a little awkward."

Nini picks up the chair. "No. It's light. I can lift it above my head and walk."

"Sweetie, no one is walking with furniture over their head. This isn't The Lion King." Miss Jenn tells her. She looks at Big Red. "Strike the chair, please."