23: cures and punishments

It's been a few weeks. I took the cure, cautiously being aware of what I am getting myself back into.

At this point, there was no coming back.

Everything shifted, in a bad way. I've been getting sick alot, the urge to do drugs even stronger than ever. I have been checked in and out of rehabs. It's been so bad that I even gave Kai an out.

Im complicated. Told him he could stay, or he could run. Surprisingly, he chose to stay. Kai has been more supportive than anyone.

Soberity has been one of the hardest things that my body can genuinely go through. The mood swings, depressive states, therapy sessions.

And yet I feel and look the exact same way.

KAI'S POV:
Andrea has been through a lot. Whenever she's home, her release to stress, anxiety, or cravings is sex.

At first it was great, but now it's mildly annoying. That's all she cares about. We've been slowy moving past this stage.

She was recently back into drugs, smoking, or drinking. Whenever I come home after buying dinner, it's either she is high or drunk.

I can tell she is wanting to stop, she had told me this privately.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

Today was good day. Andrea has been the happiest I've seen her in a while now. We had the whole day to ourselves, we spent it at the beach and the fair.

It was late and we were driving back home after Elena called and said they needed us back at the house. Andie and I were blasting music until she turned it down.

"Watch out for a curve before Wickery Bridge" She said pointing towards the road. I nodded is reponse and put my hand on her thigh, rubbing gentle circles.

"I love you" She smiled. "I love you too". Before I could say anything else I saw how she looked back onto the road and her eyes widened.

"KAI WATCH OU-", she was cut off as a car crashed into ours.

ANDIE'S POV:
I woke up in a room way too familiar. A hospital. Monitors beeping all around, then I remeber I wasn't the only one in the car.

"Kai, where's Kai? Is he okay?" I asked frantically.

Elena rushed towards me, grabbing my hand. "Andrea, Kai is in worse shape than you". I shook my head. "Where is he?" I asked, about to get out of the bed.

"Andie he's right here" She replied, pointing next to me.

My face dropped at the sight of Kai's body looking lifeless. How he was intubated, connected to vent. The color drained from his face, his fresh wounds carefully bandaged.

I tried getting up but was quickly hit by a wave of pain and dizziness. The doctor came in, "You should not move right now. We could give you a higher dose of morphine" He suggested.

I shook my head quickly, "No, no more morphine" I told him, trying to stay clear of any drugs. "Could you move him closer? I want to hold his hand" I said.

The doctor nodded and let the nurse come in and move Kai's bed and monitor closer to me. The closer he got the worse his injuries looked.

My eyes watered at the fact that I can't help him. I held his cold hand as I watched his chest rise and fall back down as he was breathing with the help of the ventilator.

He stayed like that a couple of days. I was slowly getting better, walking around without any help. I came back into my room to see Kai awake and a nurse taking out the tube.

I walked towards him as fast as I could, holding his hand tightly as I sat by his bedside. "Sorry pumpkin" He whispered. I shook my head and smiled.

"It's not you're fault" I replied. He smiled at me as Elena and the rest came in for visiting hours.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

I was released a few days ago, Kai was still in observation. I stayed the nights with him but today he sent me home to sleep and take a shower so I did.

I entered the room with some take-out food because I know he doesn't like the hospital food. "Stop messing with your IV"  "Well it itches, I keep telling the nurses im fine. I can go home!"  "You're not fine, you need to rest", Kai let out a heavy sigh, I could tell he was getting annoyed of being in here.

"Look, it's just a few more days, then I can take you home" I explained, leaning in for a kiss. He gladly accepted it and pulled me onto his bed, turning on the TV so we could watch something while he eats.

a/n: hey guys. sorry for not updating for 3 days, someone in my family recently passed away. i might take a little break, im not quitting though. i will be posting, not sure when, maybe tomorrow again. hope you guys understand. thank youbfor all the love and support yall have been showing this book, thank you. see you guys next time, bye.